Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For all those that remember the Mk1 and Mk2 how do you think the new Rocco stacks up against them, and what are the best and worst bits, for those that don''t what are the best and worse bits of the new Rooc on its own?

As a starter for 10 I used to love the gearing on the Mk1 Storm (GLi) it was different to that of the Golf with the same engine to make it more lively on acceleration and in the mid range, the 3rd gear overtaking potential was really something, in fact you could almost drive around in 3rd gear all day long and irc the first Storm's were marketed in the brochure with a 0-50 time as getting to 60 required 2 gear changes and the numbers looked pants, later models had an different ratio to overcome this 'issue' but 3rd gear was still a real 'grin' gear.
One gripe I had with the Mk1 was the way it just let go at the front end with no warning.... grip grip grip grip.....gone!! Caught me out a few times in my teens and cost me my pride a joy, took a lot of hard work to get another but I was a better and wiser driver for it.
Also given they were all (as were a lot of VW's back then) converted from left hooker the brak pedal was a bit vague and the cluch cable had a habit of breaking through the bulkhead due to the re-routed cable being a lot stiffer and more pressure required to operate it.

I love the smell of nostalgia in the morning... it smells like victory!!

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Le_Savage said:
Also given they were all (as were a lot of VW's back then) converted from left hooker the brak pedal was a bit vague and the cluch cable had a habit of breaking through the bulkhead due to the re-routed cable being a lot stiffer and more pressure required to operate it.
I remember all this from my Mk1 Golfs. About a year ago I was looking to buy another mk1 Golf GTI as a weekend toy. I'd forgotten about how bad the brakes really were, the lack of power steering is always a shock to the system too when you get back in one.

G

·
TonyIroc said:
Le_Savage said:
I remember all this from my Mk1 Golfs. About a year ago I was looking to buy another mk1 Golf GTI as a weekend toy. I'd forgotten about how bad the brakes really were, the lack of power steering is always a shock to the system too when you get back in one.
I loved my MK1 Golf (1.1 CL) Until some twat in a stolen Range Rover ran into the back of it!

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm really loving the 'hinge' bumps on the new roc... add a very pleasing retro look to the roof line.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts