Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am currently looking for an outdoor cover for my scirocco. I have done some research on the internet but i am not convinced that there is a semi tailored cover, let alone a tailored solution. Some may think this is a little over the top but when you don't have a garage as an option i don't think it is a bad idea.

I have had a look on the forum history for any information and if i'm not mistaken there hasn't been a thread on this topic. So my question is, has anyone already gone down this road? If so can you shed some light for me. Thank you in advance.

Jimbo

·
Registered
76 Posts
I looked into this. car cover uk do tailored covers for the scirocco. They do three different types, the most expensive and robust being the four layer 'Stormforce' whch I was quoted 147 quid for.The cheapest one they do is called 'Voyager' which is lightweight, but still apparently suitable for outdoor use, which costs 76 quid.

In the end I held off buying one because, I was a bit concerned about mildew growth etc, even though they are breathable, and also, I'm sure you would end up putting surface scratches on the car when you're trying to get it on and off. it might be worth you having a look at this though........

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bungle,

Thanks i will look in to it. I have similar concerns but i wouldn't use it all the time, so hopefully the gains will over shadow the negatives!

Jimbo

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
The cheap ones shouldn't be left on for more than a few days at a time. Better ones are breathable but still not without their problems as my daughter will testify.
Apart from the hassle of putting it on or taking it off - in rain, wind or snow - you've got the problem of storing a big piece of wet plastic when your not using it. Also it doesn't dry out when in storage so you can end up putting a wet cover over a dry car on some occasions.
I'd give it some thought before parting with your hard earned cash. Seems like a bit of white elephant to me.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Personally... and speaking from (bad) experience I would not touch one with a barge pole. Primarily becasue if the car is not spotless when you 'pull' the cover over it can and (eventually) will scratch the paintwork as particles of dirt and debris get dragged across it as the cover is pulled. Also covering a damp/wet/dirty car, even if it is just the wheel arces or underside will lead to condensation which can be damaging over time.
I use a cover on my UR Quattro but only in a dry well ventilated garage and the car only even goes under after a good wash on a warm fine day when I can be sure it is both clean and totally dry.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Le_Savage said:
Personally... and speaking from (bad) experience I would not touch one with a barge pole. Primarily becasue if the car is not spotless when you 'pull' the cover over it can and (eventually) will scratch the paintwork as particles of dirt and debris get draged across the as the cover is pulled. Also covering a damp/wet/dirty car, even if it is just the wheel arces or underside will lead to condensation which cna be damaging over time.
I use a cover on my UR Quattro but only in a dry well ventilated garage and the car only even goes under after a good wash on a warm fine day when I cna be sure it is both clean and totally dry.
Have to agree, would not use one, unless it is to keep the dust off in a garage. If you do get one use with care!!

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I've just been speaking to Car Cover UK. They have kindly offered a SciroccoNet discount of 15% off the full RRP!

To order visit www.carcoverzone.co.uk and once you have chosen your product, enter the code VWS49, this will reduce the full RRP by 15%. Discount does not include shipping charge.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
TonyIroc said:
I've just been speaking to Car Cover UK. They have kindly offered a SciroccoNet discount of 15% off the full RRP!

To order visit http://www.carcoverzone.co.uk and once you have chosen your product, enter the code VWS49, this will reduce the full RRP by 15%. Discount does not include shipping charge.
Nice one! Thats a good discount ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts