Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner

Should Scotland be an independent country?

• Yes

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • No

Votes: 12 85.7%

POLL: Scottish Independence.

5K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Flux 
#1 ·
Should Scotland be an independent country?

This is becoming more worrying to me each day. As an Englishman born and raised, and proud of it, I have good friends in Scotland, who are completely against it. As you may now I serve in the Military, I have served with the Scottish regiments, been commanded by Scottish officers and fought next to them and vice versa.

I have looked into this deeply, only to keep on par with my Scottish friends. I have realised how Salmond and his party spread their clams, and exactly how they target their voters. I know some may disagree, but there are quite a lot of lies floating about.

Whats your thought, how may this effect you?

#2 ·
Its farcical Charles.

That wee fat man and his gimps have no answers to the questions.
They keep rubbishing the No vote camp but don`t come up with the answers.

Oil is one of the big earners they say but its in decline also the companies who invest in the drilling etc don`t put the oil into Scotland, it goes wherever. So would a independence mean that Scotland would decide where it goes and charge?

How much of the UK`s deficit will Scotland have?

Why does the bank of England need to be the backer if it goes wrong?

Alex Salmond is a dangerous but clever man.

I remember someone else like that and look what happened from 1933 - 1945!!!! :whistle:

#5 ·
cuprabob said:
To be honest.I'm totally sick of hearing about it and wonder exactly how much money is being wasted on one man's ego trip.

I'm confident that the majority will see sense on the18th Sep and join me an bote "No"
It's funny isn't it? How Salmond targets the vulnerable and the young. Every educated Scot, when I say educated I'm talking those who actually look at the White Paper a GERS figures straight away now what he's up to. Every single one of my friends has gone from yes to no.

It's sickening how someone is preying on the vulnerable to print his name in the history books!

#6 ·
I attended a debate which was organised by my union and as a senior Rep, myself and many other Scottish Reps attended this in Perth at the end of October last year, I went along undecided but leaning probably 60/40 in favor of independence, there was Ian Murray from the together campaign and Colin Fox from the yes campaign and to cut a long story short I left the meeting some 4 hours later with more questions than answers - which currency, will taxes go up, and many others unanswered. I am still undecided, the current UK Government has no relevance in Scotland with I think only 1 MP and are still as unpopular in Scotland as they were when the hated Maggie Thatcher was in power.
There is a part of me which thinks that if my forefathers (well not mine literally as my dad is English but has lived up here since 1944 !) were prepared to die to gain independence from Longshanks and his ancestors then I should vote yes but it is not that simple a decision.

#7 ·
Sam I think Alex and co want people to use their heart like in Braveheart but nowadays regardless if the current government isn`t elected much in Scotland, another party could be in 2015 and so on.
Bottom line is were stronger as a nation. Defence,Education,NHS,Financial list is endless.
There is too many what ifs and what happens and no answers.

#12 ·
cuprabob said:
a4gee said:
Heard the latest that they want to switch the side of the road we drive on to get on board with the eu???
That'll be fun having to keep putting on and off headlight stickers and at what cost to all road signage et c

Another farce
Like anyone was going to fall for that April Fool:)
Ha ha ha ha ha

#14 ·
It's a big No from me. I always said that if the SNP managed to gain independence I'd move down to England - and that still holds, although the reality is that it'd probably be Norway we move to now.

Aberdeenshire did a poll of 5th and 6th year (16/17 year olds) kids and the overwhelming majority was No. This is the one chance I think that the SNP have and if the younger generation are seeing that a No vote makes sense then if they lose this time round I think that's it.

I think it will be close, but as they have proven time after time they don't have answers to some of the fundamentals and some of the plans are bordering lunacy.

We had someone at work who was a massive Yes campaigner / organiser - again he had no answers to anything, and when I pointed out that the beer he had been drinking one weekend was English he never spoke to me again :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.