Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted this on Central but thought some of you may find this useful. An easy little mod i did last week. Not to everyones taste but i love it, some much better than the plastic...

R32 Dash Trim and Storage Console Fitting instructions (to be followed at own risk - I'm no mechanic and will not be responsible for any damage you may do!)

Ok so here's the guide I promised. I've written this after fitting so some pics are with the R32 trim fitted, didn't take enough at the time as this was a bit of an exploratory process for me. I've also pinched some pics from other threads and OEM plus to help.

******Dash Trim******

What you'll Need for RHD Cars (Part Nos are what were on my packaging - double check these)

Tools:
A trim removal tool. I bought a few volvo OEM ones from ebay: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0311545350

Parts:
R32 Dash trim - RHD only
Passenger side Dash .....Part No 1K2 858 529 B 8B4
Drivers side dash (left of steering column) .....Part No 1K2 858 419 B 8B4
Drivers side dash (right of steering column) .....Part No 1K2 858 420 B 8B4

Cost of these parts was £108 incl VAT and postage. I bought them from VWspeed:
http://www.vwspeed.co.uk/volkswagen/vw- ... 31-22.html

Fitting:

Ok so the easiest way to do this is to check out the clips on the back of the parts your fitting

1. passenger side.

Insert the trim removal tool below the trim and gently lever out each of the 4 clips moving left to right. These can be seen in the pic below. They are located where the holes in the dash have metal sockets for the clips....

next simply push the replacement trim into place. Easy!

2. Drivers side - left

Trickiest part of the trim due to space.
Lower the steering column and the indicator stalk.
lever out the trim from the right hand side (easy to get in behind this way without marking the dash) with the trim removal tool. The is one clip and a hook See pic...

Slide the trim to the right from behind the centre console and pull out towards you to unhook.

The metal socket may come out with the clip. If this happens attach it to the clip on the new trim before refitting. Don't put this back into the dash first and then push the trim in as it may bend and become lost down the back of the dash (nearly happened to me)
Reverse this procedure to fit the new trim.

3. Drivers side - right

really easy :) A couple of clips and a hook. Work from right to left levering out where the clips are then unhook (swinging the trim towards the drivers window) There is one clip where the metal socket is on the pic below and one small flat one just above the modue for the head light controls. Go steady, I got a bit enthusiastic by this stage and nearly hit myself in the face as the trim flew out :D

******R32 storage console or ash tray******

Parts:
R32 storage console or ash tray
Sorry I dont know the part No - forgot to check before fitting.
I won mine on ebay but from a dealer you will need the storage console, the alu trim for the surround and the alu trim for the lid. The R32 trim is called 'engine spin' all this should cost £120-150 ish.

Tools:
Trim removal tool as above.
T20 Torx screwdriver or socket wrench.
Hacksaw Blade
Small flat bladed screwdriver

Sounds more complicated than it is - actually really easy.

Had a quick stab at instructions below, including moving buttons if you have more than 2 functioning ones. The OEM plus instructions are also really useful (very good pics) and you will need these if you have to re-skin the console and lid (i didn't)
http://oempl.us/diy/article_info.php?ar ... eeb3ce5f14

Insert trim removal too in front of the gear gaiter surround, where it meets the storage console. Lever this front edge of the gear lever gaiter surround up and pull the rest of the surround out pushing your hands into the gaiter to grab below the surround. Clips are around the edges of this trim so be careful not to break any.

Pull the gaiter up around the gear knob so its out of the way.
Remove the two torx screws on the front of the cubby hole/storage console. Lift the front edge and pull out the plugs from below the buttons and cigar lighter (dont worry they are colour coded). Using the flat bladed screwdriver to push in the tabs on the left hand side of the plugs allows for easy removal.
Undo the loom clip from the underside of the storage tray. This is the hardest part and took a pair of pliers and a screwdriver to get the plastic gromit out.
Next pull the console up and out, basically swinging it up towards the underside of the dash.

Buttons:

The R32 storage tray and ash tray both have only 4 button holes (great - less blanks!). My Roc is a UK 2.0 GT, so has the DCC button (which I moved to the right) and ESP (original position on the left). I also have tyre pressure indicator.

You will need to remove the buttons and blanks from you stock console by inserting the flat bladed screwdriver into the underside of the console (once removed) pressing in the metal tabs. These come out easy, the metal clips pop out of the buttons easily but can be fixed without too much trouble if this happens. Simply lift the coloured sheath on the button with the screwdriver enough to put the metal back in it's slot.

If you only have one or two buttons you dont have to mod the R32 console, the buttons simply push into the left hand slots. However if you have 3 buttons or want the DCC button closer to the driver then a small notch needs to be made in the plastic seat for the button. see pic below...

Make the notch (the little red bit) using a hack saw blade (easier than a stanley knife as you dont want to mark the alu trim). The notch needs to be opposite the lower right hand notch in the second button hole from the right.
Insert DCC button. :clap: insert far right blank (and any others where needed) and your done.

Refit the console pushing into place, inserting plugs, reinstalling the loom clip and tightening the two torx screws. Push the gaiter trim back and your done :clap: :hyper: :nod: MAKE SURE YOU TEST THE BUTTONS ONE THE CABLES ARE PLUGGED IN BEFORE REFITTING ALL TRIM.

Sit back and enjoy your new higher quality and brighter ****pit! :D

Let me know if you want me to edit this post and paste in the oem plus pics. Can't be bothered at the mo as its late and the link is there.

Hope this helps,
Candy Monster.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Can I just say candymonster that is a great thread! I am loving the look you got with the aluminium/carbon look. I will be doing this asap............

Think it looks the dog's dangly bits!!!! nice one mate!! :D ;) ;)

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imitebeurda said:
Can I just say candymonster that is a great thread! I am loving the look you got with the aluminium/carbon look. I will be doing this asap............

Cheers mate, I'm loving it, feels so much more quality inside with real alu trim (and looks even better in the metal). Got another little interior mod on the go too, should be up in the next few days.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Candy Monster said:
imitebeurda said:

Cheers mate, I'm loving it, feels so much more quality inside with real alu trim (and looks even better in the metal). Got another little interior mod on the go too, should be up in the next few days.
I have a GT, can you post all the bits I will need? Dont have anything mad, standard radio etc...............everything as expected. Can you post the ctegory numbers??

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
imitebeurda said:

Ditto Candy Monster... as job well done and well worth doing. Looking forward to the next exciting installment :p

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imitebeurda said:
I have a GT, can you post all the bits I will need? Dont have anything mad, standard radio etc...............everything as expected. Can you post the ctegory numbers??
I have done, just read through the post and you will see part numbers, costs and links to where i bought the bits from. You will probably have to reskin the storage unit with the alu trim, as per the oem plus instructions. I bought mine from ebay complete but this is a pretty rare part to find there. You cant get a matching radio/climate surround but this might look OTT anyway.

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
love the how to do it bit Your Blue Peter Badge is in the post, but i still cant make my mind up if its for me or not, and after the ball ache that was fitting my ally pedals its put me right off car diy, DIY Dont Involve Yourself

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sciroccorocket said:
love the how to do it bit Your Blue Peter Badge is in the post, but i still cant make my mind up if its for me or not, and after the ball ache that was fitting my ally pedals its put me right off car diy, DIY Dont Involve Yourself
It's really easy honestly. Difficulty rating 2/5. 1/5 being fitting stickers :lol:

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
Candy Monster said:
sciroccorocket said:
It's really easy honestly. Difficulty rating 2/5. 1/5 being fitting stickers :lol:
ok ill give it a go ill order the parts tomorrow

1 - 10 of 10 Posts