Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

:idea:

I know MPGs are all dependent on driving style etc but does anyone get anyone anywhere near the quoted MPGs for their cars. I can't imagine anyone getting over 600 per tank in the tdi or 400+ in the 2.0tsi?!! I've had my calculator out, :geek: and based on the official stats it'll only cost me about a tenner a week extra for the big smile a diesel doesn't give you *(I have nothing against diesel BTW, my last two cars have been diesel) .....

I do a mixture of driving, some motorway each day and some around town. I am 32 and my right foot isn't too heavy (ahem).

So, what do you reckon guys and girls, what sort of economy do you get from your cars?

As many replies as poss, if I'm to change the engine on my order I need to move fast. Cheers one and all...... ;)

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
hotjimmy said:
I don't know the figures, but I would say petrol all the way! It seems a shame to spoil an attractive car with a noisy oil burner.
The scirocco won "diesel car of the year" TBH I have driven the diesel and if I was doing high mileage (30K + a year I would have had no doubt and bought a diesel roc :D ) as for MPG, did 46 miles today (some A-road, some motorway, some town) and got 42.7MPG from a "remapped" 2.0tsi.

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
at last people with sense, my 2.0tsi varies between 30 and 40 mpg depedant on driving style and what roads im on town, motorway, country, to be brutal the scirocco doesnt deserve to have an oil burner in it at any bhp 140 or 170, id be so embarraced starting the thing up then clatter clatter, you then have to spend the next 5 hours trying to justify buying a diesel, rabbiting on about torque and mpg and just wait till i get it chipped ill have another 2 million mpg and 5 million more bhp, its just wrong if you are so tight you worry about a few mpg buy a skoda or golf diesel at least no one will laugh at you that way,

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
imitebeurda said:
hotjimmy said:
I don't know the figures, but I would say petrol all the way! It seems a shame to spoil an attractive car with a noisy oil burner.
The scirocco won "diesel car of the year" TBH I have driven the diesel and if I was doing high mileage (30K + a year I would have had no doubt and bought a diesel roc :D ) as for MPG, did 46 miles today (some A-road, some motorway, some town) and got 42.7MPG from a "remapped" 2.0tsi.
42,7 thats not bad

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Guys, we are all scirocco owners. There are plenty of members with diesels who are very happy with their cars and enjoy both the driving experience and performance. If you disagree that is fine, we all enjoy a bit of banter, but lets not go too OTT with the "diesel bashing" ;) ;)

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I know MPGs are all dependent on driving style etc but does anyone get anyone anywhere near the quoted MPGs for their cars. I can't imagine anyone getting over 600 per tank in the tdi or 400+ in the 2.0tsi?!! I've had my calculator out, and based on the official stats it'll only cost me about a tenner a week extra for the big smile a diesel doesn't give you *(I have nothing against diesel BTW, my last two cars have been diesel) .....
I had a run yesterday up to Milton Keynes (approx 90 miles) on M25 and M1 leaving at 06:30 with a mix ot traffic and speeds from 45 - 75mph and when I got there the Avg MPG was showing 49.5!! Add in the 10% fuel price differential and you are looking at approx 55 MPG!! Who needs a stinking noisy diesel???

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi md,

I have a 2.0 tsi GT. I do a mixture of driving but to my current work location its a journy of 62 miles on motorway and A roads. This morning i achieved 45 mpg!! My average over the past 4 weeks however is 35, due to a little bit of fun on the drive home and at weekends! ;)

I've now done 4500 miles and the engine seems to be loosening up and returning more mpg. I had a 2.0 tdi avensis before this and was only getting 39 from that, i know its not a VW but still! The difference in driving pleasure from the petrol to the diesel is tangible but i'd suggest driving them both for a good spell to see if you could live with it. I'm a civil engineer so i sat down with my calculator before choosing an engine but as soon as i took the tsi out all the calculations went out the window! Its a fantastic engine and well worth the extra few pennies a week.

Hope my ramblings have helped. Let me know what you opt for. Happy driving!

Andy.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Anyone seen my soapbox recently???

Found it.... Right, The problem with the diesel thing is that it takes approx 30k miles before you really see best fuel consumption figures, I know this to be true because I have owned (from new) an 04 Mkiv Golf GTI PD 150, a 54 Touran 2.0 TDI 140ps and now have a 58 Touran 2.0TDI 140ps.

Both the Golf and 54 plate Ran economy improved steadily with age and when we got rid of them were regularly hitting 65MPG avg on my daily Mway commute. For the sake of the argument I took the wifes new Ran on the same run for a couple of days recently and it only gave me 44-46MPG which is worse than my new Rocco on the same journey at the same time of day/traffic density. Now ask me why I got rid of the old ran to buy a new one Diesel one and I'll tell you that I wish I hadn't and if I had my choice again I would have gone for a petrol ran instead as it is on PCP and I know I will not be keeping it long enough to really get the best out of the engine, but the next owner will likely get a great car engine wise but my kids will have crawled all over it, stuck sweets down the seats and being sick in it... I certainly won't be wanting to keep it after that :roll:

In a nutshell I would say unless you are planing to grow old in your roccos I would go for a petrol everytime.

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
Le_Savage said:
I know MPGs are all dependent on driving style etc but does anyone get anyone anywhere near the quoted MPGs for their cars. I can't imagine anyone getting over 600 per tank in the tdi or 400+ in the 2.0tsi?!! I've had my calculator out, and based on the official stats it'll only cost me about a tenner a week extra for the big smile a diesel doesn't give you *(I have nothing against diesel BTW, my last two cars have been diesel) .....
I had a run yesterday up to Milton Keynes (approx 90 miles) on M25 and M1 leaving at 06:30 with a mix ot traffic and speeds from 45 - 75mph and when I got there the Avg MPG was showing 49.5!! Add in the 10% fuel price differential and you are looking at approx 55 MPG!! Who needs a stinking noisy diesel???
good point le-savage,

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
sciroccorocket said:
Le_Savage said:
good point le-savage,
I thought so :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ok, Ok, we get it that people aren't keen on the diesel engine. My TDI is averaging 53mpg on my daily work run, although has been seen regularly approaching 67mpg. At the end of the day, it all depends what you need the vehicle for. I would rather be driving a Roc than anything else and the diesel allows me to do it! :)

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There's some excellent info on here, cheers guys. And I didn't think it was too politically charged considering some of the diesel v petrol debates I've seen, LOL. It looks like if I'm sensible (!) I can get a really good mpg from the petrol.

To update I have contacted the vehicle management company and asked for updated quotes. This is despite ordering the diesel a week ago. I trust there'll be no issues with changing the order so early, expecting a call on Tues so I'll keep you all posted. Thanks again for your responses, all very helpful. Feel free to continue posting if you can beat the figures quoted above.... ;p

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Risingtdi said:
Ok, Ok, we get it that people aren't keen on the diesel engine. My TDI is averaging 53mpg on my daily work run, although has been seen regularly approaching 67mpg. At the end of the day, it all depends what you need the vehicle for. I would rather be driving a Roc than anything else and the diesel allows me to do it! :)
Not calling you a liar.. but regularly seeing 67mpg on a new diesel! I find it hard to believe unless you only ever drive down a 1:4 to work and never come home again. After all it's (as far as I am aware) the same donk that's in the wife's ran and that's only seen the better side of 55 once so far (5k miles on the clock) and that was when I pushed it off the cliff at beachy head.

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
Le_Savage said:
Risingtdi said:
Not calling you a liar.. but regularly seeing 67mpg on a new diesel! I find it hard to believe unless you only ever drive down a 1:4 to work and never come home again. After all it's (as far as I am aware) the same donk that's in the wife's ran and that's only seen the better side of 55 once so far (5k miles on the clock) and that was when I pushed it off the cliff at beachy head.
hmmmmm 67mpg on a new diesel engine some how i dont think so, my chipped mk5 golf tdi would struggle to get that even with 36k on the clock, i still think everyone is missing the point a diesel does NOT belong in the scirocco, fair enough Golfs, Skodas trains generators wagons etc, and as for the nieve ones that think the diesel is as fast as a tsi well thats another story

·
Registered
132 Posts
Personally I am a 2.0 TSI fan and owner but unfortunately the only thing that has improved my MPG so far was the boys in blue looming very large in my rear mirror flashing lights in all. 3 points later the mpg jumped up quite considerably.......... :oops:

Ps: BM could you suggest to VW that they improve the rear view to allow for blue light vision if nothing else!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Dear God, how the heck do you get 40+ mpg in the 2.0 litre TSi?? I have had 33 as the very best (I had only done 1000 miles) and my usual trip to work yileds around 24 if I'm careful!!
I just don't see how that figure can be done?? Please share your secrets :D

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
Geoff Hibbert said:
Dear God, how the heck do you get 40+ mpg in the 2.0 litre TSi?? I have had 33 as the very best (I had only done 1000 miles) and my usual trip to work yileds around 24 if I'm careful!!
I just don't see how that figure can be done?? Please share your secrets :D
it will get better at about 1500 to 2000 miles

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.