Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have one of these on order - purchasing without testing the TDI. However somewhere on this site it states that the engine sounds like a London Cab... Any comments please - I will be well p****** off if this is the case ...

Regards DaveR

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
From my opinion... being a previous owner of both the 1.9 Tdi 150ps and with the wife currently owning a 2.0Tdi 140ps (same donk as the 140 rocco) I would say that while it is most definately a diesel, it is not overly noisy from outside and in the cabin both were well insulated.. this however maybe where the rocco falls down as essentially being a stripped out and lightened vresion of the golf they may have compromised on the sound deadening... I am not sure if this is true as I have not been in a diesel roc...maybe some other diesel owners would care to comment?

·
Registered
79 Posts
you can tell its diesel from inside when staying still, and you cant tell when you're moving as it is a silent engine.. on the autobahn the diesel is quieter than the petrol and at 150 kmh you can only hear the wind and the road noise (whilst in the petrol youll hear the engine buzzing as it is on higher rpm)

the cabin is well insulated

·
Registered
315 Posts
Don't know how noisy the diesel Scirocco is (have not ridden in one) but believe diesel does not suit a sports coupe as well as petrol in terms of performance and refinement. I have nothing against diesel and am not one of the petrol mafia :angel:.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
DaveR said:
Hi I have one of these on order - purchasing without testing the TDI. However somewhere on this site it states that the engine sounds like a London Cab... Any comments please - I will be well p****** off if this is the case ...

Regards DaveR
I think that may be an exaggeration. From my experience with a mk5 golf 140 and 170 you'll only notice it's a diesel when idling, especially on start up. I don't think you'll be p****d off, especially with all the torque available.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I dont think you will be disappointed by the Diesel, it's not noisy to drive. Infact the main noise is road noise which even the petrols would have. Idling with the window open is slightly different, just keep the windows up and the air con on! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
ANDRES said:
you can tell its diesel from inside when staying still, and you cant tell when you're moving as it is a silent engine.. on the autobahn the diesel is quieter than the petrol and at 150 kmh you can only hear the wind and the road noise (whilst in the petrol youll hear the engine buzzing as it is on higher rpm)

the cabin is well insulated
Is this true?? I would have thought that the final gearing of both the diesel and petrol would be the same as they both use common gearbox whether that be manual or DSG. AFAIR only the 1.4 has a different DSG box.. presuamambly to give it more relaxed cruising potential from the smaller engine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The diesel sounds silent on the motorway - partly because it is quite but also as there is some road noise in all Sciroccos. Id like to try some different tyres and see if this eliminates some road noise but thats another thread all together....

So to sum up, diesels are great! :lol:

:shh: :shh: :shh:

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
\\chrome// said:
The diesel sounds silent on the motorway - partly because it is quite but also as there is some road noise in all Sciroccos. Id like to try some different tyres and see if this eliminates some road noise but thats another thread all together....

So to sum up, diesels are great! :lol:

:shh: :shh: :shh:
can something sound silent??

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.