Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seen a few posts from people referring to them running their cars in... did I drop off (after the 'what fuel debate' took a turn for the worst) and wake up in 'life on mars'???

I've not run a car in for past 15 years (and burned my 'running in please pass' notice along with the wifes bra in 1994, although since the kids she wished i'd kept the latter) and have used WOT on them all from day 1.... and I reckon they have loved me for it.

What's the story?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Apparently hard driving from new will increase oil consumption over the life of the engine, manual does say dont go over 3000 rpm for first 500 or 1000 miles ( cant remember which ) i suppose it wouldnt be in the manual if there were no issues.

On a related issue, i noticed my engine had loosened up significantly after 1500 miles from new, so there must be some issue there.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Equally there is a school of thought (well there was when I studied mechanical engineering) that an engine that is stressed early in it's life will have increased power output due to fractional elongation of the con rods when the metals are still pliable.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Le_Savage said:
Equally there is a school of thought (well there was when I studied mechanical engineering) that an engine that is stressed early in it's life will have increased power output due to fractional elongation of the con rods when the metals are still pliable.
Ah ignore him he talks complete rubbish... Ooops sorry wrong thread ;)

Actually I agree with Le_Savage, most cars I've owned have run better when driven at different RPMs rather than keeping below a recommended limit

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JaseW said:
Le_Savage said:
Ah ignore him he talks complete rubbish... Ooops sorry wrong thread ;)

Actually I agree with Le_Savage, most cars I've owned have run better when driven at different RPMs rather than keeping below a recommended limit
Hey, JaseW.... No more jostling please my halo keeps slipping off ;)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Le_Savage said:
HaHa! i did mech eng too, you should know by now half of what you were taught then was b*llocks mate :D Increased power due to pliable metal would be so small as to be insignificant, its a nice theory, but while your con rods are elongating, your knocking lumps out of your engine. There is a far simpler school of thought that an engine with tight clearances that is abused, will wear badly, causing more damage to moving parts, increasing metal loss & tollerances to above design figures, leading to increased oil consumption and reducing the lifespan.

but thats just my two bits, end of the day these guys live and breath engines, so if they say it needs running in, who am i to dissagree?

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There is a far simpler school of thought that an engine with tight clearances that is abused, will wear badly, causing more damage to moving parts, increasing metal loss & tollerances to above design figures, leading to increased oil consumption and reducing the lifespan.
So that'll be why my cars (Rocco included) use no oil and go like the clappers??

Also I wonder why manufacturers ditched the running in oil decades ago... possibly because there was no need for it?? Modern manufacturing and tempering processes virtually emiminate any logical argument for a running in period. From where I sit VW are more conservative than any Right Wing government we have evert had in the UK and any chance they get they're going to get you to drive miss daisy... go on play along with them it'll do wonders for your fuel consumption.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Le_Savage said:
So that'll be why my cars (Rocco included) use no oil and go like the clappers??

Also I wonder why manufacturers ditched the running in oil decades ago... possibly because there was no need for it?? Modern manufacturing and tempering processes virtually emiminate any logical argument for a running in period. From where I sit VW are more conservative than any Right Wing government we have evert had in the UK and any chance they get they're going to get you to drive miss daisy... go on play along with them it'll do wonders for your fuel consumption.
:D Who can say??? maybe your not thrashing it enough! ive already come across a thread somewhere about letting the turbo cool down after using it, now thats streatching it in my mind. As for running in periods, its not so much tempering, as to wear patterns, modern manufacturing techniques are not as great a leap as you would think, and are diminishing returns. we build gas and steam turbines, despite the fact they are constructed within incredibly fine tollerances for there size, they still wear differently, and no two are alike, and they all need a bedding in phase early in there life, so that wear occurs gradually where it occurs. I know it all sounds a bit faff,..but it seems to work, so why not the same for an engine?

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Does it really matter? Most of us will not keep a new car beyond 3 years, and the additional wear and tear a few "rakes" in the first 1,000 miles will make generally will not manifest itself until well past this. Lets all agree that we will sell our cars within 3 years and then............it really doesnt matter!! ;) ;)

·
Registered
132 Posts
imitebeurda said:
Does it really matter? Most of us will not keep a new car beyond 3 years, and the additional wear and tear a few "rakes" in the first 1,000 miles will make generally will not manifest itself until well past this. Lets all agree that we will sell our cars within 3 years and then............it really doesnt matter!! ;) ;)
Hear hear, and the government should pay us £2500 for each car we dispose of after three years to keep the motoring industry a live, dream on........

·
Registered
277 Posts
imitebeurda said:
True, its all relative.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I believe you can cause some damage to the sides of the cylinder walls if you keep them at low steady rpm's when new, glazing I think its called. It gives you incorrect seating of the piston rings, which is the idea of running in to give your piston rings correct seating, which leads to increased oil consumption through the engine life. Not 100% positive how accurate this is, im a gas turbine man so pistons are a bit greek!

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
albertz33 said:
imitebeurda said:
True, its all relative.
Yes, true and relative but then wheres the fun in not discussing it.... I guess we could always revive the car mats thread cause that was really interesting :lol:

·
Registered
277 Posts
RobRoc said:
I believe you can cause some damage to the sides of the cylinder walls if you keep them at low steady rpm's when new, glazing I think its called. It gives you incorrect seating of the piston rings, which is the idea of running in to give your piston rings correct seating, which leads to increased oil consumption through the engine life. Not 100% positive how accurate this is, im a gas turbine man so pistons are a bit greek!
I used to work for Peter Brotherhood years ago, they made these huge reciprocating pumps ( piston action ), the piston heads were almost 2 metres in diameter, so that gives you an idea of the scale, and glazing was a problem, these things were huge and were built to pump gas in pipelines in siberia, what amazed me was how quiet they were, sorry if its a bit off topic :D going all geeky today :ugeek:

Yep, car mats WTF is up with that, although on that subject, mine have 'Lex' stiched in them :( ( a bit sh*t i know )

·
Registered
6 Posts
Le_Savage said:
There is a far simpler school of thought that an engine with tight clearances that is abused, will wear badly, causing more damage to moving parts, increasing metal loss & tollerances to above design figures, leading to increased oil consumption and reducing the lifespan.

To your point in bold, it is because we are now using high quality fully synthetic oil instead of semi-synthetic.

As to running in an engine.
A rule of thumb when running in 2 stoke motorbikes was, to use two full tanks of fuel through them before revving them right out all the time.
Didn't mean you can't open it out, just meant you should be alot smoother and progressive with the throttle but still openning it out otherwise it can't choke up a bit on you and that isn't gonna help much.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts