Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've noticed a few rusty bolts on my Scirocco - the ones holding the boot strusts to the car body and the ones on top of the suspension turrets under the bonnet - has anyone else got this and should I be taking it back to the dealer? I also noticed that there appears to be some sort of white mould on the fire wall on the passenger side of the engine bay - again has anyone else got this and is it worth a mention to the dealer? I've also got a bit of a dash board rattle that sounds like it's coming from where the dash meets the windscreen but I'll wait and see if this gets better/worse before getting the dealer to look as in every other car I've had if the dealer 'fixes' one rattle about 27 others appear!

I've attached some pictures, all thoughts and comments welcome.

Pictures below show rusty bolts attaching boot struts:-

Pictures below show rusty suspension turret bolts:-

Pictures below show 'mould' on firewall:-

Cheers,

Deacon

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Deacon, I have previously noticed the condition of the boot strut fasteners and was cosidering putting it to the forum as to the condition of theirs. I'm glad you have bothered as mine are the same, it's disapointing that with all the metal protection treatments available today they choose to give some parts a token gesture, it will be interesting to see if these parts end up being replaced under waranty for a more superior fastener. Regards, Phil

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bigmac2511 said:
Hi Deacon, I have previously noticed the condition of the boot strut fasteners and was cosidering putting it to the forum as to the condition of theirs. I'm glad you have bothered as mine are the same, it's disapointing that with all the metal protection treatments available today they choose to give some parts a token gesture, it will be interesting to see if these parts end up being replaced under waranty for a more superior fastener. Regards, Phil
It does seem a little poor. My concern is if the rust spreads on the bolt and so could attack the bodywork from inside (if you follow me!)

Deacon

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
a VW doesn't corrode this is just surface rust. If its anything more serious its covered under a 12 year guarantee, I've never seen a claim attempted or otherwise.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
business manager said:
a VW doesn't corrode this is just surface rust. If its anything more serious its covered under a 12 year guarantee, I've never seen a claim attempted or otherwise.
So, as someone in the business, do you think I should be asking the dealership to replace the bolts or is it one of those 'they all do that' things?

Thanks,

Deacon

·
Registered
618 Posts
Deacon said:
business manager said:
So, as someone in the business, do you think I should be asking the dealership to replace the bolts or is it one of those 'they all do that' things?

Thanks,

Deacon
If yo go to the dealer with that they will laugh at you and walk you straight out the door again.

ALL bolts do this, check under your car, the hubs will be rusting like mad already, all the bare alloy parts will be corroding nicely aswell - its just what happens!!!

Are you sure that is mould? I'd be thinking more likely salt build up from the damp spray from the roads.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Andy said:
Deacon said:
business manager said:

Thanks,

Deacon
If yo go to the dealer with that they will laugh at you and walk you straight out the door again.

ALL bolts do this, check under your car, the hubs will be rusting like mad already, all the bare alloy parts will be corroding nicely aswell - its just what happens!!!

Are you sure that is mould? I'd be thinking more likely salt build up from the damp spray from the roads.
If the dealer did 'laugh and walk me out the door' they'd never get any servicing business from me. As for your point about all the bolts doing this none of the 10 or so past cars I've had have had rusty fixings for the boot struts so I don't agree with your point there. I don't know what the white stuff is on the firewall but I doubt it's just a salt deposit as I would expect that to be everywhere not just the very specific areas shown in the photos and I wouldn't expect the deposits to be so thick - it's not shown well on the picture but they are a couple of mm thick.

Deacon

·
Registered
72 Posts
Now lookk what you have done Deacon. All Roc owners are lifting bonnets and tailgates to inspect their nuts! Off to look at mine now.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
business manager said:
s perfectly normal, and the white deposits look like the factory grease to me, better valet required!!!
Thanks, for clearing that up for me business manager, without being able to see other cars it always makes you wonder whether it's a problem or not so, again, thanks for putting my mind at rest.

Deacon

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
Bit of WD40 and a gentle brush and it'll be sound ;) i'd only be worried if it was a major bolt... But as an Engineer BM right its just surface rust, like brake disc's no and then rust.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts