Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else experienced rusty screws where rear hatch struts are attached to the body. I know it's only a minor thing and my garage will be changing them but I do not expect to see rust on VW/Audi cars! This is my 6th VAG car and I have never seen rust anywhere before.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Problem with mine too, seemed to happen within a month of owning it. I know it's only surface rust but still, doesn't look very good and the only problem I have had with it. Would otherwise be perfect!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
business manager said:
don't worry they always have surface rust changing em ain't gonna help
BM
Why is this? I think you will agree surface rust looks unsightly and could make an owner wonder if the problem was wider than just the nuts/bolts in question (I agree VWs do not rust). What are VW saying about the issue - I assume they are aware?

·
Registered
658 Posts
Yep...Mr Roccas are as well.... should I get em to change em 2moz when e goes to vw?

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
theres a lot of poor quality fasteners coming from china at the moment, they are supposed to by made to the same DIN standard but form experiance i know they have inferrior plating/ coating and quite a high failure rate, most of my customers in motorstort or nuclear insist on fasteners from europe, you would have thought vw would source from europe but at approx 80% cheaper they may have taken a gamble, ill take one out and see if i can find a manufacturers mark, im going to replace mine with stainless steel that should end the problem

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
tallguy said:
business manager said:
don't worry they always have surface rust changing em ain't gonna help
BM
Why is this? I think you will agree surface rust looks unsightly and could make an owner wonder if the problem was wider than just the nuts/bolts in question (I agree VWs do not rust). What are VW saying about the issue - I assume they are aware?
never had anyone complain tbh but all the cars have it, it doesn't seem to get worse the bolts just get surface rust

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sciroccorocket said:
theres a lot of poor quality fasteners coming from china at the moment, they are supposed to by made to the same DIN standard but form experiance i know they have inferrior plating/ coating and quite a high failure rate, most of my customers in motorstort or nuclear insist on fasteners from europe, you would have thought vw would source from europe but at approx 80% cheaper they may have taken a gamble, ill take one out and see if i can find a manufacturers mark, im going to replace mine with stainless steel that should end the problem
sciroccorocket - thanks. I also believe poor quality fasteners are the cause of this problem.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As an update, my dealer has fitted new screws (in black which happens to match the car) so we will see how long they last unrusted....
I know it's only a minor issue, but I just don't accept that VW can't do better than using fixings that rust (even superficially) in such a position.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
tallguy said:
sciroccorocket said:
sciroccorocket - thanks. I also believe poor quality fasteners are the cause of this problem.
Here, rocket I feel a group buy coming along!! :D

·
Registered
658 Posts
My VW garage have order some new ones in.... ur telling me they dont have 2 screws in stock?!?!?!?!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.