Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I'm from South Africa, and a die hard VW fan.

My 2.0TSI DSG Scirocco arrived a week back at the dealer. I was imformed that the final on-the-road price will be R350 000 (stock standard - no options). Translated to pounds, that is about 26,900 Pounds.

I cancelled the order when I heard the price. I know of about 10 other guys on the South African VW-Forum that has also cancelled orders.

What is the price of a 2.0TSI DSG on the road in the uk now? It sounds that we are being screwed 10 ways from Sunday!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The gave "indicative" pricing, but said that it will only be fixed one the car is launched.

VW increased priced accross its entire range on 1 April 2009, and the Scirocco launch was delayed until 2 April 2009. Hence the increased cost. They just waited for the price increase, which was about 15%.

By the way, a 1.9TDI Polo in South African will now set you back about 18,100 Pounds!

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
GLab said:
The gave "indicative" pricing, but said that it will only be fixed one the car is launched.

VW increased priced accross its entire range on 1 April 2009, and the Scirocco launch was delayed until 2 April 2009. Hence the increased cost. They just waited for the price increase, which was about 15%.

By the way, a 1.9TDI Polo in South African will now set you back about 18,100 Pounds!
Well that was convenient... I think I would have done the same thing. Interstingly the SA price pre price rise (15%) would have been almost in line with the UK.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya, very convenient.........

Oh well, now I am minus one Scirocco. Will look to buy second hand in about 6 months time. Hopefully I will get a good deal then!

Signing off from the country of cheap booze, cheap hookers and Jacob Zuma!

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
GLab said:

Oh well, now I am minus one Scirocco. Will look to buy second hand in about 6 months time. Hopefully I will get a good deal then!

You'd better believe it... and don't you just love the way Jacob's rendition of Umshini Wam still gets the crowds going??

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
Le_Savage said:
GLab said:

You'd better believe it... and don't you just love the way Jacob's rendition of Umshini Wam still gets the crowds going??
cheap hookers? handy if you a rugby coach
:lol:

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
GLab, I know prices have been increased recently in the UK as a result of the "credit crunch" and the fall in value in sterling. Has the Rand been badly affected by the recession? Or have transportation costs increased? Might these be contributing factors to some of the unforeseen increases??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imitebeurda said:
GLab, I know prices have been increased recently in the UK as a result of the "credit crunch" and the fall in value in sterling. Has the Rand been badly affected by the recession? Or have transportation costs increased? Might these be contributing factors to some of the unforeseen increases??
I word for Standard Bank (Stanbic Bank/Standard Chartered Bank) in South Africa. I am pretty involved with the makets and forex moves. Currently the Rand is doing better agains the USD and Pound than it did 6 months ago.

Since this is Africa, everything happens at a delayed time. We are only starting to feel the full force of the credit crunch now and we can cleary see it in our numbers coming through from African countriesl. Car sales are down year on year and no-one is getting finance approved. Might be the reason why prices are going up, 'cause dealers are not making their profits anymore. Now, after increasing the prices, I know of 7 brand new Sciroccos in the Johannesburg area that has been standing on showroom floors for 3 weeks now, can't get them sold.

Anyway, I have read in another post that the interior is being upgraded. I wonder if they will increase the price with another 15%.

As for old Jacob Zuma, he is our .... no, let me rephrase....... he is their (the rest of SA) new president. Signing his machine-gun song in the streets of Jo'Burg. To celebrate, let us all have unprotected sex and take a shower to wash away the aids! Yippee!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.