Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Anyone know if there are plans to put the 170 diesel engine in the Scirocco? Or plans for a more powerful diesel than that? I've got the 170 Golf and do 35k miles a year, so don't think I can justify the petrol turbo, and don't think the 1.4 will have enough grunt on the motorway.

Surely a 200PS diesel engine is achievable now, as proved by BMW 123d. Which is no looker lets face it.

Cheers,

Ian

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Ian we are fairly sure the only reason why there isn't a 170ps diesel in Scirocco is because VW is putting the new engines that are going into new Golf into Scirocco. The new Golf pricelist doesn't have 170ps yet so I assume this is for one of two reasons.

1. VW is working to get the emissions down on the engine - 140ps has fallen in terms of emmissions it produces 134co2 in scirocco or 128co2 in new golf

2. VW wants to release higher bhp diesel in Golf and Scirocco at same time but doesn't want to put it in Golf yet because it knows it will get a load more publicity & press coverage if they wait until after GTI due March and then Bluemotion due April - so Sept maybe?

Obviously when VW releases this engine Scirocco will have a load more publicity & reviews in the press which will help keep it in the public profile.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi MAte, got a new Scirocco, and on a run get 37.5mpg with cruise set at 75mph, so pretty good, and way better looking than most cars on road just now, especially a 1-series..
Cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What about the rumoured new VW \ Audi twin-turbo engine? Any chance that might find its way into the Scirocco? >200PS and massive torque soungs good!

Ian

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You'd think that if BMW can get over 200PS from the 123d engine, and still achieve class leading CO2 emissions, that the VW group won't want to be losing out on sales - and environmental "brownie points", not to mention technical one upmanship.

Not saying it's not a challenge, but by putting such an engine into the Scirocco really is having your cake and eating it, so to speak. I certainly won't be tempted by the 140 diesel engine, after feeling there's not enough 'go' in the 170.

If there isn't a suitable diesel on offer mid to late next year, then I'll be changing direction, away from VW and over to BMW for a 1 year old 330d. Unless petrol falls back to 70p a litre!

Ian

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
You have to remember BMW fools the emissions test with stop/start technology. VW refuses to do this and the figures quoted are real world fuel figures. You should get the 37mpg avg if u own a scirocco and drive it carefully. Diesel power is not everything its cracked up to be, the cars struggle real world to achieve their emissions and fuel figures.

Of course if u have a company car this is all meaningless as u will be taxed on whatever the test says. New golf will have some very good emissions figures but scirocco is not aimed at company car market.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Got this from VW

Good Afternoon, Thank you for your recent enquiry. The larger engine is a 2.0TDI 170PSavailable in both manual and automatic and should be from Summer 2009. Ihope this information helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts