Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent a while with the old 'roc now - had it since launch and thought I'd post a review

First time I saw it tbh I wasn't happy, to me it looked a bit renault thought it was something vw had wrong. The images shown in the concept pictures were of a wicked viper green one with awesome chrome grill and looked wild as u like. In the flesh after that it seemed quite standard and boring. My opinion was that I didn't want to see the next golf, I wanted a hot coupe. The red one we had was fairly standard, and whilst its cloth seats looked good I wasn't happy with the eos dashboard. Basically I thought we'd messed this car up.

Then I drove it.

All complaints went out the window. Golf MK5 GTI was a revelation 3yrs earlier but this is totally different. Its faster, more composed and tighter than any golf I've driven. At the same time its not uncomfortable, the new suspension settings really work and even on sport it handles better than any other front wheel drive motor car but still feels fine. I've driven the modern BMW range and they feel like you're fillings will fall out, same for nissan 350z and all those other cars. Not so for Scirocco it tracks perfectly, better than any car I ever driven. The engine, because its much lighter than golf feels much more alive, and the chassis adapts so much better. On top of that living with it is easy. I can fit my stuff in the boot, it can carry 4 people.

The thing is amazing, I can drive faster in this than any other car I've driven, possibly M3 aside. Maybe I should qualify that a little, any other sensible car. There is nothing you can buy today which will do what this car does. Everything else has some form of downfall, this doesn't. No its not a five door hatchback but today there isn't one which can provide you with the fun of a scirocco. If you want one of those buy a Golf. No the interior isn't leading edge, but if you want that buy a Golf or a BMW.

If you want something for driving pleasure. If you want a car which will make you smile as you hammer it round corners. If you want to use your car on an everyday basis scirocco is best.

I personally don't think it needs modification. The image people may want to do it. Scirocco in standard form is sublime. Its the best car VW produce by a huge margin. Its the best new car I've driven in my career in the motor industry.

Discuss

·
Registered
283 Posts
businessmanager i agree, it is sublime, the rear end grip especaily on the pirellis is great, i drove mine over the cotsworlds yesterday on some great A roads in sport and could not believe the pace it carries through bends, it is a car you can drive by the feel of the wheel and through the seat, the ride is so composed, coming from an A3 its a revalation, may not be a track warrior but as a road machine

yes it could do with a bit more power and be a bit lower but i'll get a r version for that, i understand you comment on the modding debate as larger wheels etc can ruin the ride which negates the point of having one

i love the scirocco, i would have liked an S3 if i'd had one, respected it but never loved it

·
Registered
454 Posts
I think the Scorocco is rubbish - NOT!!!

Re my pre purchase post I test drove evrything I could think off in the months before the Roc was launched. I had narrowed the field to the BMW I series and the Alfa GT but on driving the Scirocco it was no contest the car is awesome.

I have done about 700 miles in mine with my girlfriend also using it on the daily commute. Having chosen the DSG option it does everything we need. Sitting in London traffic the auto mode is perfect with the option of being a hooligan when the roads suit. The gearbox in either mode is completely seemless with no transition jerk that the BMW had and instantaneous when changing gear at speed.

I also agree with Business Manager that the ACC suspension is fantastic and when you do have the chance to "give it some" it corners on rails.

I have read all the press comments re the interior and I have to stick my neck out here and say I actually really like it. My last car was a Mark IV TDI golf and the step up to the roc is brilliant. I have seen the cloth trim in the dealership and am glad that I opted for black leather as the black on black look suits the mean styling of the exterior.

Speaking about looks it turns heads wherever you go and even my cynical "hairdressers car" mates have been won over when they see it in the flesh. I followed a mate back home the other day and he commented that the view he had from his rearview mirror was that it looked like my car was going to eat him!!

The exterior styling speaks for itself I think and while I appreciate the Roc looks nothing like the TT it has made me think that the styling is as radical as when the TT was launched i.e. it looks like nothing else out there. No doubt as more hit the road we will get used to seeing them but for now I am enjoying being in the fortunate position of driving something different.

To sum up I am blown away by the car, sure I have new car blindness at the moment, however I am sure that this will last for a long time (maybe even always if I am really lucky). Not surprised by the TG award and this will no doubt make it even more popular although I hope it doesn't become another premiership trophy as this will take the edge of the coolness although maybe just a smidge.

For those lucky enough to be able to have one I am sure you are having the same enjoyment as me, or for those who are contemplating buying one you will not be disappointed as it's the sort of car that you do not want to get out of and will want to drive and drive.

Roc on

·
Registered
283 Posts
yes i popped out for a paper, an hour and 40 miles later got home and forgot the paper type of car :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
For me its the fact that it does everything well and nothing badly. The seats are great as Top Gear mentioned 'the best seats they have sat in this year'

·
Registered
29 Posts
business manager said:
Plan to drive the diesel tomorrow as it is taxed so will deliver a petrol vs diesel verdict soon.
Hi business manager
Do you know if the Diesel scirocco can be chiped via a Vw dealer? :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Cant you just tell business manger works for VW, i lived with the Mk v Golf GTI for 3 years and the difference between the Roc and the GTI is marginal. The Golf interior was far superior where as the Rocco's exterior looks wins hands down. Ive done 1000 miles now and although everyone is raving about the Rocco its not that far ahead of the GTI. What was everyone driving before kias ??????

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Suppose I have to respond to this. Scirocco is massively lighter than gti. Granted its not a huge difference if you drive the amount of cars I do, its still VW through and through. I hold my first statement that the car is the best VW has produced. It's lighter and more balanced than mk5 gti. I've taken gti on a track we launched it at oulton park. It's great but scirocco is noticably better. Scirocco is better cos its lighter, it handles much better. Compare scirocco to anything its difficult to find a better car. Subaru is fast but not comfortable, BMW is fast but less predictable. Can't think of much else, maybe alfa depreciation nightmare. You think scirocco is not as good as gti you are wrong. I'm a driver a gti is heavier and substantially different to scirocco.

·
Registered
144 Posts
what you also havent also said is that the scirocco doesnt put the power down like the GTI did and spins its wheels much more easily, go on tell us that you're really the Stig lol

·
Registered
283 Posts
veeedubba said:
The Golf interior was far superior
subject to debate me thinks, the stereo on the gti looks sh*t, the rest is pretty much the same, the only bit it does edge is the centre tunnel, seats are better in the roc

since my tyres have got some miles under them power delivery is not such an issue (may be linked to the roc delivering more torque lower down due to the mapping) thought our gti-p had the edge but maybe not having flashed the esp today, whsilt i love our gti-p (has better p zeros on it than the roc all be it 225s not 235s) always take the keys of the roc depsite it probably being quicker in the traffic light grand prix and indeed i'd take it over a r32 anyday (having seen the figures in VW Driver Magazine this month)

those little bits where the roc is better do add up and make a difference, autocars track test times prove that

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I find the roc wheel spins less than my ed 30 used too. We have a 300bhp ed 30 and I swear the roc can beat it to 60 due to the amount of time the gti spends burning rubber. GTI is noticably heavier. Will try to review the dsg diesel this week b4 I go on holiday.

·
Registered
89 Posts
business manager said:
Plan to drive the diesel tomorrow as it is taxed so will deliver a petrol vs diesel verdict soon.
What does the diesel drive like?

Craig

1 - 14 of 14 Posts