Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think it's about time I let you know about the saga I'm having with my Viper Green Scirocco.

On the day I took delivery of the car (10th March) within a few minutes of getting home a motorcyclist hit the back of the vehicle, cracking the N/S/R light unit and damaging the bumper. The result being that a new light unit and rear bumper were required, all sorted on insurance, claimed agreed and parts ordered.

Parts arrive within 3 days and the vehicle goes in for repair on the 23rd March, the repaired has the vehicle for 24 hours and then informs me that the paint code provided by VW does not produce a suitable match and invited me down to have a look at the match.

The paint made up by the repairer to VW's paint code for Viper Green (LR6T) is far to yellow and not even a close match to the original colour. The repairer replace the original bumper and I get the car back and discussions open with the VW dealer and VW customer care about this issue.

The first response to me from VW customer care is that the paint is not being matched correctly because the repairer is not an authorised VW repairer. The repairer is the authorised VW repairer for the supplying dealer but not for VW (VW don't have an authorised repair in the Island same alot of other makers). When I mention this to the repairer he goes throught the roof! His firm has been repairing VW's for 26 years along with the other marques also sold by the suppling VW dealer of Audi, BMW. Mercedes, Mini, Bentley, Porsche to name but a few (nothing cheap in their showroom) he also recommended by the major vehicle insurers.

The repaired informs me that the paint code provide by VW (LR6T) is insuffient to get a correct match and normally the manufacturer would supply the code along with a formula to enable a correct match.

The car to date has been in three time for the repair (plus twice for colour matching) each time the repairer has not been satisfied by the match and the original bumper has been refitted. The repairer has cut out a section of the original bumper from behind the number plate and sent it to BASF chemical paints in order to get it analysed to establish a match. So far without success. Glasurit paints have also been involved in trying to assist with a match. Paint has been order specially from the UK mainland and this does not match.

In my most recent conversation with VW customer care, they are still suggesting that the problems lies with my repairer or the company mixing the paint. BASF and Glasurit are the biggest auto paint companies in the world so this does not wash with me. VW customer care have declined to provide me with a painted bumper from the factory. They have also been unable to say if they have had the same issues in the UK or Europe with repairs to this colour.

I have every faith in the repairer from previous experience and his portfolio of work and do not believe the issue of matching is from his lack of exprience or equipment.

Now the big question......Has any other Viper Green owner had their vehicle repairer successfully without issues over the colour match? If so by who?

Or is it that we should wrap them if cotton wool because VW can't provided a suitable paint code/formula for repair should they get damaged?

It has been over 9 week now since I brought this to the attention of both the suppling dealer and VW and I still no closer to getting it resolved.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Am I missing something? When I was getting the side strips on my roc painted body colour the paint shop guy (who is nothing to do or recommended by VW) lifted the boot lining and read the long VW paint code off the sticker on the boot floor. He was then able to match the colour up within seconds, perfect match. Is it not the same for Viper/metallic colours??

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
I also don't quite get this. VW should be able to provide the proper paint code or supply the dealer with paint straight from the paint manufacturer. Fair enough the dealer (and in turn, you) would need to pay for this. But the dealer gets the pot of paint in and passes it to their repairer and that should be the end of it.

If you can order a touch up kit from your dealer then surely the dealer can also get larger quantities.

·
Registered
222 Posts
imitebeurda said:
Am I missing something? When I was getting the side strips on my roc painted body colour the paint shop guy (who is nothing to do or recommended by VW) lifted the boot lining and read the long VW paint code off the sticker on the boot floor. He was then able to match the colour up within seconds, perfect match. Is it not the same for Viper/metallic colours??
I agree there can only be two reasons and from experience when giving out a paint code to a bodyshop if they come back and say it's no good, it's because they have not got an up to date paint mix system or they are simple not a very good repairer and are just doing a one of for a customer. I have had arguements on the phone with the likes saying I gave them the wrong code but like anyone that knows anything about repairing vws the paint code is found on the sticker in the boot. From your description the bodyshop doesn't sound like this but if they have the paint code it's not vws fault it's the paint supplier

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In response to the last replies, paint has been made up by the repairer to VW's paint code, paint has also been sent from from paint companies in the UK also to VW's paint code none of this paint provides a match. Because the paint has been mixed both locally and by major UK paint companies I would like to believe that the paint mix systems are up to date, however the paint mix systems are only as good as the formula provided by the manufacturer if this is not correct the the result will be wrong.

I am hoping that another owner has had to have a Viper Green repaired so that I can establish who repaired it and find out what make of paint, code, process and formula used gave at matching result.

I myself have worked in the motortrade for 9 years both in sales and service and have never known a problem like this in matching a colour.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
davedavison said:
how much did getting side strips painted cost you? if you dont mind me asking, also i'm looking to lower mine soon with h & r springs does this affect the active ride contrl thingy?
The bodyshop guy who did the side strips and my badges together charged me £150 cash, including removing and refitting them. No, springs will not affect the ACS. ;)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The saga continues.......I spoke with VW customer care at lunchtime today they have now asked that the rear bumper is removed from the vehicle and shipped to them in the UK, in order that the paint can be analysed for a colour match.

VW customer care have stated that Viper Green vehicles have been repaired in the Uk without a problem when I asked where and by whom in order to find paint codes, formulas, paint manufacturers used etc they could not answer the question. Surely if my dealer or repairer had this information they could ensure that every avenue had been explored before bits of my vehicle are removed and sent to the UK.

I am very reluctant to allow the bumper to be sent away, I have a holiday booked with the vehicle later this month and obviously want to get the Scirocco off the Island. They are unable to say how long this process will take, I also have concerns that the bumper may get damaged further either during shipping or when being analysed, or even lost in transit.

I have aksed if VW could provide a painted bumper from the factory, they say this is not possible.

If you know of Viper Green that has been repaired let me know.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
I would only allow it to be shipped if VW guarantee:-

1. It will be returned in time for your holiday
2. If not a similar roc is available for loan the duration of your holiday
3. If the bumper is lost in transit they will replace it.

Dont think thats asking too much!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've just had a conversation with the owner of the bodyshop who have been trying to resolve this. He feels that the only solution is to have a total respray of the vehicle, my insurers have said they would cover the cost. In 30 years in the repair industry he has only ever known a similar problem and that was with a Renault in a Pearl white which resulted in a respray.

It would appear (and these are my thoughts based on conversations I've had over the last few months) that VW have failed to achieve a correct paint code and formula for Viper Green. VW don't agree with this saying that Viper Greens have been repaired using thier paint code, although they have been unable to confirm this details of who carried out the repairs.

As much as I like the colour, with the knowledge I now have I would not recommend that someone purchased this colour. I think that there are to many unanswered questions at this time with regard to codes and formula.

VW continue to sell this colour in the UK and Europe and unless my car is a one off 'odd colour' from the factory, I think other owners will have the same problems should the need for repair arise before this matter is resolved.

I am now in the process of taking Legal advise.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Evil Derboy said:
A full respray is over kill. I really can't believe this. Though my own problem with VW is also equally unbelievable so on second though, yes it sounds like very typical VW behaviour to me!
The full respray suggestion is from the Insurer and repairer, I agree it's 'over kill' as the only damage to the vehicle is to the corner of the rear bumper. VW have not suggested this.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
ViperJersey said:
Evil Derboy said:
A full respray is over kill. I really can't believe this. Though my own problem with VW is also equally unbelievable so on second though, yes it sounds like very typical VW behaviour to me!
The full respray suggestion is from the Insurer and repairer, I agree it's 'over kill' as the only damage to the vehicle is to the corner of the rear bumper. VW have not suggested this.
Sorry. I meant I can't beleive that VW can't supply a bumper or the correct paint code.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi...feeling your pain about having the car repaired. Mine was in an accident 3 weeks after I got it...gutted!!! Worst thing is the driver who hit me drove off...traffic cops said I was dead lucky...about 1" away from a head on at 60mph!! I've had nothing but problems since it was repaired. I've got a rising blue and paintwork's not been the problem. The drivers door was affected and I ended up having to have electrical stuff redone....the control panel's in the drivers door and it's caused nothing but trouble. About to go back to the dealer again...now got a gremlin in the stereo....arrrggghhhhh!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Evil Derboy said:
ViperJersey said:
Evil Derboy said:
Sorry. I meant I can't beleive that VW can't supply a bumper or the correct paint code.
VW say that they can't supply a painted bumper and any paint code and formula so far has been wrong.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
ViperJersey said:
VW say that they can't supply a painted bumper and any paint code and formula so far has been wrong.
The only thing I can think of is to use another bodyshop. VW say they have no problems with others and you say that they have provided the bodyshop with various paint codes/formulae. They also say that this bodyshop is not one of their approved repairers (even though it is the local dealers approved place). This all being the case and the fact that you're bringing the car to the mainland soon anyway, why not arrange to have it booked into a one of VW UK approved bodyshops whilst you are over on holiday. You will be without the car for a few days but at least you can kill two birds with one stone and but this whole thing to bed.

If it's still not right then at that point it's up to VW UK to come up with a remedy. As you will have used their approved bodyshop, they will have no other way to turn but to send you a prepainted bumper . If your insurance company is open to the idea you may be able to arrange all this before you leave so that you have a bodyshop lined up, with the paint in stock to ensure that you are without your car for the absolute minimum length of time.

I can't see any other way forward other than a complete respray and given that the car will then essentially be sprayed a different colour (an incorrect shade of viper) this may leave you open to problems in the future if the shade of paint deviates again.

·
Registered
172 Posts
ViperJersey

Can't believe the hassle, if it was myself I'd take legal advice from your insurance company. You're the one left with all the running around phone calls etc, you'll end up with a nervous breakdown. A respray are they joking, would you be happy with that, then what would happen (god forbid) you get another dent or worse, back to square one :?:

·
Registered
315 Posts
I smell a rat here and suspect VW have had problems with viper green in terms of consistent colour matching not just in the Channel Islands. It's a low volume colour on the Scirocco so very few cars will have been near a paintshop as yet but I would certainly avoid ordering the colour at the moment (it's not a good colour in terms of re-sale anyway).

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.