Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help me Obi Wan Kenobi your my only hope.

I've got some shiny new speakers waiting to go in but I can't figure out how to get the front door cards off. Thought I did until I actually tried it earlier. Basically there are five torx bolts. x2 at the very bottom underneath the door card. Then you need to remove the frame of the grab handle and this reveals a further three bolts.

Trouble is I've removed them all and I still cant get the door card off. There's a bit of movement (really not much) and I've tried push it up from the bottom but no joy. I'm worried that I'll break something if I force it.

Can anyone help at all? Until then I've got four really nice, new speakers sitting gathering dust so please please please! - if you've done this please give me a hand.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Usually there is a series of nylon studs around the edge of the card which you have to lever out from the door using a flat bladed tool. Mind you I've never worked on a VW so it could be different.
If there are nylon studs then be prepared for the odd one to break, that's normal. You should be able to buy replacements if necessary.

·
Registered
227 Posts
the silver trim "pops" out then theres a few 30's torx screws in there, and theres two 20's torx screws underneith i think (not sure as my cars in the car port and cant be bothered to get it out to look lol)

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ryancooke said:
the silver trim "pops" out then theres a few 30's torx screws in there, and theres two 20's torx screws underneith i think (not sure as my cars in the car port and cant be bothered to get it out to look lol)
yeah I mentioned that in my first post. I've had all of these out but it still wont budge

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
OK. I managed to get the door cards off. It is just the five torx screws. After that you pop the door card off, working your way from the side closest to the rear of the car to the front. Then lift it up. I used a trim tool to lever it out from the door. it's pretty firm and you need to use a bit of pressure.

Problem is the speaker connector is a custom job. That's OK. I'm prepared to cut that to join it to the new speaker but instead of the usual two wires, there are four going to the speaker! Need to know what wires do what as they will need to be joined together. Also the std speaker is held on with pot rivets rather than screws so these will need to be drilled out.

Also I'm wondering if the wires going to the standard tweeter can be spliced to join the new speaker as well so that the full range goes through it (the new speakers are two ways with a tweeter in the middle).

Here's the std connector:

IMG00009-20090611-1948.jpg

here's the connector on the new speaker:

IMG00010-20090611-2004.jpg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok. I think I've cracked this. There is an adaptor kit available from Autoleads for the MkIV Golf and I think it's the same one for the Roc. The part number is AUTOLEADS SAK-3103 VW SPEAKER ADAPTOR KIT.

And for the rears AUTOLEADS PC2-807, VW Speaker adaptor lead

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
richroc said:
Well how is it going ? Have you fitted the new cones? was the kit just the ticket?

(I'm waiting on you to finish before deciding whether to do it myself - so no pressure !!!)
Not yet. The bits I needed just arrived today and the weather is sh!te up here at the moment so this weekend isn't looking likely either. But won't be long now. I've done all the investigation work so it's now just a case of actually getting it done.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Weird!

I can't find it either! it was definitely there. I'll need to ask Tony about it. The whole process is actually quite simple.

1. Undo the two torx bolts at the very bottom on the door that hold the door card in place
2. Unclip the triangular grab handle to reveal another three torx bolts at each apex of the triangle. Remove these.
3. If you haven't already, put your window down.
4. Starting from the bottom of the door, closest to the rear, start to unclip the door card from the door itself. it will take a wee bit of force and it helps to push something in from the bottom and lever it. Work your way along and up and then carefully unhook the door card from the top. unclip all the connectors for the controls on the door (windows, mirrors, boot release etc)
5. You see the speaker is rivetted to door. Disconnect it and drill out the rivets.
6. Screw the adaptor ring to where the OEM speak was.
7 Use the cable adaptor to connect the OEM speaker connector to your speaker.
8. Screw the speaker into the adaptor ring.
9. Put the door card back on.
10. Now do the other side!

I haven't gotten round to doing the rears yet. Some people say you need to take the seats out but other say you only need to push them forward to reveal a torx bolt. Apparently once the torx bolt comes out, you can just unclip it. Not sure if you need an adaptor ring for the rears.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.