Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm looking at getting a new car and the Scirocco is on the list... Test drove one 2.0 tfsi gt dsg last week and was impressed - but I'm wondering if there are any must-have options - and even which spec/engine to go for.

I was originally thinking of the 1.4 petrol but I want fogs, the smoked rear glass, dual zone climate and steriing wheel controls which pushes things up to almost the GT spec and for not a lot more you can get the 2.0. (if only they did a 1.4 GT....)

it sounds from the brouchure that the pertorl engine really preffers shell optimax or bp ultimate (insert your favourite brand here) - which negates the cost saving against deisel.

Bluetooth is out as it requires a new phone so I'm thinking of the fisconn - leather is also out (not work the money IMHO)

However there are some options I'm not sure of...

DSG - anyone got any comments whose had one for a while (whats it like in town etc..)

Flat tyre indicator - does it tell you it's missing a few PSI or only when it's flat and obvious (but its only 30 quid....)

Parking sensors - I've only ever seen the car without them - as such it makes me wary that it will spoil the looks. Are they needed or a luxury in the car?

SAT NAV: (how much!!) I went from a tom tom go 500 to an inbuilt one in my current vauxhall (color) but I found it was never as good as the tomtom. (can only do first part of post code e.g "so12 3"). the map wouldn't scale acording to speed so you constantly had to adjust for motorway/town driving. And it missed the tom toms bird eye 3d view which I and my other half found really easy to follow. And the TMC is pathetic compared to tom tom traffic (travelling from southampton to yorkshire it only lists the traffic info in the local region which isn't enough to do a full route trafic optimisation)

Cruise control: I read this can be added later and doesn't need to be factory fitted - is the case or?

Bi Xenon headlights: current car doesn't have them and lights are pretty poor on twisty roads on anything other than full beam (where they are still a little too focused) What are the standard lights like on the Scirocco? worth the extra for xenon or not

Winter pack - cos I hate to find out when I've got no windscreen wash (but its a lot of money for it...)

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Hi teilo, where are you from?

teilo said:
DSG - anyone got any comments whose had one for a while (whats it like in town etc..)
DSG - definetely get it

teilo said:
Flat tyre indicator - does it tell you it's missing a few PSI or only when it's flat and obvious (but its only 30 quid....)
Save your £30 and have a night on the town. If you cant tell when you have a flat tyre you shouldnt be driving a roc!! :D

teilo said:
Parking sensors - I've only ever seen the car without them - as such it makes me wary that it will spoil the looks. Are they needed or a luxury in the car?
Needed, get them.

teilo said:
SAT NAV: (how much!!) I went from a tom tom go 500 to an inbuilt one in my current vauxhall (color) but I found it was never as good as the tomtom. (can only do first part of post code e.g "so12 3"). the map wouldn't scale acording to speed so you constantly had to adjust for motorway/town driving. And it missed the tom toms bird eye 3d view which I and my other half found really easy to follow. And the TMC is pathetic compared to tom tom traffic (travelling from southampton to yorkshire it only lists the traffic info in the local region which isn't enough to do a full route trafic optimisation)
The Sat Nav does add something too the car, you have also the DVD capability. However 10 times the cost of a good tom tom IMHO is a lot. Depends really how much you need the sat nav and want the DVD!

teilo said:
Cruise control: I read this can be added later and doesn't need to be factory fitted - is the case or?
Yes can be retrofitted, but if you want it factory order it. Personally unless you are doing a lot of motorway driving its not worth it.

teilo said:
Bi Xenon headlights: current car doesn't have them and lights are pretty poor on twisty roads on anything other than full beam (where they are still a little too focused) What are the standard lights like on the Scirocco? worth the extra for xenon or not
If you can get them order them, you wont regret it.

teilo said:
Winter pack - cos I hate to find out when I've got no windscreen wash (but its a lot of money for it...)
Yep Winter pack is cool, get it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imitebeurda said:
Hi teilo, where are you from?
Migrated south to the Southampton area.

Thanks for the other info - didn't realise the winter pack was a good as you both make it sound.

imitebeurda said:
teilo said:
Save your £30 and have a night on the town. If you cant tell when you have a flat tyre you shouldnt be driving a roc!! :D
:D

imitebeurda said:
teilo said:
Needed, get them.

teilo said:
The Sat Nav does add something too the car, you have also the DVD capability. However 10 times the cost of a good tom tom IMHO is a lot. Depends really how much you need the sat nav and want the DVD!

teilo said:
Yes can be retrofitted, but if you want it factory order it. Personally unless you are doing a lot of motorway driving its not worth it.

teilo said:
If you can get them order them, you wont regret it.

teilo said:
Yep Winter pack is cool, get it.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
it sounds from the brouchure that the pertorl engine really preffers shell optimax or bp ultimate (insert your favourite brand here) - which negates the cost saving against deisel.
Not sure I agree with you on this one, if the roco in question was highly modded with remap, custom IM and EM, hybrid turbo etc etc then I would say that not using 99RON would have a serious effect on the performance, but given that the roc in factory spec is only running at 60-70% capacity the extra points on the RON scale really make very little difference and using 95RON will not cause any damage as the knock sensors will always ensure that the timing is advanced to optimum for the fuel used. However what I would not advise is switching back and forth between 95 and 99 as it will take approx 1 tank for the adjustement to be fully optimised.

But I would agree that the winter pack rocs :D

G

·
Nav is great, when it works.

For that kind of money you'd expect it to be faultless. Mine is faultfull!

Kinda agree about the tyre indicator, but for £30 it looks better than blank button.

Also smokers pack. Wish i had ordered it. Looks crap without a cover over the power outlet.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I dissagree,..

I had the tyre pressure monitor on my Mk5 GTI, now it depends how you use your car, but i spend allot of time on the motorway on mine, and during the 3 years i had the golf, the tyre pressure monitor saved my ass twice, it does tell you when the tyre starts to deflate, i never thought this would be of much use until i had it, its priceless, so stay in,..watch britiains gotr talent or whatever : ) and save the 35 quid towards it..

As for fuel, there was a discussion on here ( or maybe on central ) that there is no benefit to 97/98/99 octane over 95 in performance to a standard spec car, and unlike the GTI, the handbook does not say that the engine will suffer if using 95
( but buy the proper stuff, not the supermarket stuff ).

Sat Nav is way too expensive for what it is,..tom tom XL - 200 quid, job done.

Parking sensors. i would have said when i first got the car that it was an essential as rear vis is poor, however after a month i was well used to it, and dont need it,..also the sensors ruin the look of the bumper ( unless its a dark colour ), and only women use them. :twisted:

As for the winter pack, im not sure its necessary, i took delivery of mine in January, when the cold snap hit and the country came to a halt, i noticed the ROC heats up far more quickly than the GTI did, windscreans / fogging / frozen washer lines were clear in a couple of minutes, but if you absoloutley have to then fine.

Xenons look good, if they are available and you can afford it then get them.

Just my two cents..

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
scottyroc said:
Evil Derboy said:
Leather is essential in my opinion. I think it really lifts the interior. It's the only option that's an absolute must for me.
yeah leather made it for me too...such a sporty look to it imho..

but apperantly you can get a better jod done cheaper aftermarket...i think theres a link from the sponsers page..

maybe worth a look

Transform Leather
http://www.transformleather.co.uk
Have only seen one actually done and it didn't look as good as the factory fit option.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.