Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So there i was, sat at the lights on a quiet duel carriageway when some chap pull up next to me in his focus ST and winds down his window.

"nice car" say the fellow as he admires my just cleaned Rocc. We exchanged pleasantries before he suggest "fancy a go from the lights?"

It was a short 1/2 mile to the next set of light and quiet so thought why not, but since I’m down on power compared to his ST, a bit pointless maybe.

I admit it was fairly close but ST just couldn't keep up. Although It did feel as though the ST may have the edge at higher speed.

Made my day!

·
Registered
12 Posts
wow... surprised about that, seen a few things with the ST against the GTI, the GTI would pull away quicker but at higher speeds the ST flew back past, colleague at work has an ST so i'll be interested to see how my Scirocco will fair... when it eventually arrives :|

·
Registered
277 Posts
Yep that volvo 5 pot is pretty fierce once it gets going, well done in giving him a good caning though :twisted:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
albertz33 said:
Yep that volvo 5 pot is pretty fierce once it gets going, well done in giving him a good caning though :twisted:
Got to say i expected a pasting. He was good about it though and said "nice" and waved as he went by.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have an ST3 and it is difficult to get the power down from standstill, it will just spin its wheels :D

A Roc with DSG will win in a short race and may well beat the ST on a twisty road.

A standard ST is slightly heavier than a Roc and only has 25bhp more so will be a close race, the ST has its superior torque higher up the rev range than a Roc so that will probably also affect things.

As my Roc arrives tomorrow I will be able to make more comparisons, only tested a Roc for 48 hours so far.

·
Banned
86 Posts
greeper you should also drink less juice than in an ST

performance issue probably similar to the R32 v Roc issue i've seen with more powerful motor only showing its true card at higher speeds

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am hoping for much better fuel consumption - over three years having the ST it has averaged around 24/25mpg - 27mpg if I drive very carefully. Only on motorways has it managed the 31mpg book figure :?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Would love to see a few drag races between the two. My old astra vxr could never shake them off and that was with 240 bhp! I mean at higher speeds tho.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
greeper said:
I have an ST3 and it is difficult to get the power down from standstill, it will just spin its wheels :D

A Roc with DSG will win in a short race and may well beat the ST on a twisty road.

A standard ST is slightly heavier than a Roc and only has 25bhp more so will be a close race, the ST has its superior torque higher up the rev range than a Roc so that will probably also affect things.

As my Roc arrives tomorrow I will be able to make more comparisons, only tested a Roc for 48 hours so far.
Be interesting to hear your comparison.

·
Registered
372 Posts
My dad was following me in an R32 a few weeks back and said he couldn't keep up pulling away from a rolling start in second. Both were manuals. Again though no doubt would have had me at high speed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts