Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK,
As chuft as I was at collecting my lovely Roc, I was taken back by the customer satisfaction survey process. It kind of went like this ......

Scene: Just filled in all paperwork for the new car, about to go and get in to be shown the toys.

Salesman: Can I just ask you if you are happy with the service that you have had during this purchase?

Me: Yes, it has been great.

Salesman: How satisfied would you say you have been?

Me: Very!

Salesman: Right, I must make you aware that in a few days VW will call you to ask you some questions for the satisfaction survey. Now the thing is, the questions and answers are a little strange. If you said "Very Satisfied", that would mark us down because the top answer is actually "Completely" satisfied. [2 or more example questions and answers later] so you see, you need to be sure on the answers that you give.

Me: Okaaayyy, so why are you putting this effort in to preping me, what difference does it make?

Salesman: Because the dealership is granted discount bonuses based upon customer satisfaction and the more markdowns we get, the less we get to pass down as discounts to the customers, and I will get sacked [laughs].

Me: I will take your word for it.

[Salesman the goes and gets the manager who thanks me for my custom before throwing the same speach at me]

After I left all I could think about was, had I just been groomed to give answers that they want me to give and how valid was their spin on why. Has anyone else had this happen to them and/or can they shed any light on the real story behind this freaky thing?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
This is customer experience management if you don't give full marks on your VW survey then your dealer loses lots of money. 1.5 % of his margin in all his new cars to be exact. You may not think this is a science but he needs 95% full marks from all customers to keep his margin.

Service department has the same on an 80% threshold currently.

This is VW's way of policing the dealerships so you have a good experience.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Actually I'll expand on this a bit. The reason its like this is because in this country we are very conservative. In spain and other countries CEM is always 100%. In Britain it isn't. The reason is because if someone phones we always say very good and not excellent. This is because we all have the attitude that nothing is perfect.

In spain they the salesman and customer hugs each other before they conclude business, here we shake a hand.

CEM is very important to your dealer.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for that, it does explain things a bit more, I can totally see your point and I will definetly be declaring top marques.

Two points though .....
1. The survey should be geared for the audience, taking your point on board.
2. I better way of explaining the survey and it's consequences to the customers would be good, because I found the process a little freaky.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Any suggestions are welcome cos we do it in exactly the same way and everything else we've tried has failed. Experience tells us we need to nail the importance of this into the customers. We've tried paper, which they don't read.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Zarger said:
Thanks for that, it does explain things a bit more, I can totally see your point and I will definetly be declaring top marques.

Two points though .....
1. The survey should be geared for the audience, taking your point on board.
2. I better way of explaining the survey and it's consequences to the customers would be good, because I found the process a little freaky.
It should not be your concern that the dealer earn money by giving customer service, your concern is getting the best deal and getting the car when you want it (within reason of course). I find this totally sinister that you would be "coached" into earning them money. BM offers some extraordinary insights into the dealers and what they have to do to earn there bucks. If I had the same experience as you on this I would have been very put off by all of that.

·
Registered
283 Posts
in reality i have no issue with a dealer expalining this if you've had great service, the build week issue is often out of the dealers control, i was gutted never got the call to say how good they'd been

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If he hadn't of asked me what I thought first, before explaining that there could be a survey and how wierd it works, I would not allow the reasons provided sway my decision, I just found the process to be very strange.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Its been around for a few years now. Most regular 3 yr change cycle customers loyal to brand have got the hang of it now. It used to be based on a 1-5 basis but changed recently because JD power survey judges on a very/completely satisfied basis. It mirrors JD power survey so people fill in the correct slot on JD power. It was toyota that invented it, their success in surveys made everyone else adopt it.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I had a similar explanation of the survey when I got mine - I told them fairly frankly that I would not complete a survey where I had been coersed into completing the answers to suit the dealership or the salesman. I offered them to fill it in if I could take 10% of the bonus now that I knew why they wanted it or I would answer "extremley unhappy" to all the questions!!

What is the point of a "survey" that has no meaning whatsover??

Result was that they never asked me to fill it out which meant I got to drive my Roc 5 minutes quicker!!! No doubt they filled in the form themselves after I left. :lol:

Roc On!!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
LCM said:
I had a similar explanation of the survey when I got mine - I told them fairly frankly that I would not complete a survey where I had been coersed into completing the answers to suit the dealership or the salesman. I offered them to fill it in if I could take 10% of the bonus now that I knew why they wanted it or I would answer "extremley unhappy" to all the questions!!

What is the point of a "survey" that has no meaning whatsover??

Result was that they never asked me to fill it out which meant I got to drive my Roc 5 minutes quicker!!! No doubt they filled in the form themselves after I left. :lol:

Roc On!!
Fair enough you were unhappy with the service you received, they did nothing wrong but you wanted to slam them anyway. Why shouldn't you have that right. Taking margin out of dealers is fair especially if they've done nothing wrong.

·
Registered
454 Posts
In my line of work I provide professional consultancy services to the construction and property industries.

We too have client feedback surveys that let us know what our clients perception of our services have been.

At no point do we ever (Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors guidance notes state it is UNETHICAL) ask our clients to fill in a form to suit our own needs.

I have never said I was unhappy with the service I received, what I do have an issue with is a salary and bonus system that means that customers true and unbiased repsonses are not taken into account only the reponses that the sales departments ask for.

If I asked my client to fill in a client satisfaction form how I wanted it filled in the likleyhood would be that I would be struck off.

Perhaps the real issue here is not dealership bashing but the unregalatory way in which the car industry in general goes about it's business. From every manufacturer (not just VW) there is a distinct them and us attitude between sales and servicing and having been a car owner for over 20 years absolutley nothing has changed to rectify this over the years.

In my line of work if I received even a 10th of the complaints that have been posted on this and other forums about the service provided by dealerships I would be A - mortified; B - doing something about it; or C out of work!!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
I was finally able to pick mine up last weekend but the dealer made no mention of any customes satisfaction survey or asked me to fill anything in there and then. Should they have because my experience with them was very poor and I would happily have said such, so if they've filled something in 'on my behalf' I'll happily phone VW and drop them in it!

The Scirocco is fantastic though!

Deacon

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I recieved a phone call for the survey, it is not a form to fill in.

I wonder if the dealer cherry picks who they want to be surveyed, if so they would not include you if they know your already mad?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Better one than that....

I had bought my car, started paying for it ( as I work away) hadn't yet picked it up, and I got a call reg; CSFR, I told them to check their deliveries as I had not got my car yet....Clowns... :lol:

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've been forwarned to expect a survey in the same way as Zarger, and also been told that the dealership will be marked down if they get anything but a 'completly satisfied' answer. As I have not taken delivery of the car yet, I have not responded to the survey. i do not have any problem whatsoever in saying I'm completely satisfied, providing I am! I will not be saying anything that I believe to be untrue however, so we'll see how the experience goes....

Watch this space.

Take care guys

1 - 17 of 17 Posts