Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone clarify the difference between having the original cpu remapped and having a super chip installed - apart for the obvious - is the new chip better than the original after it has been remapped. I have beem quoted £299 + vat for having TDI 140bhp remapped with potential increase upto 175bhp. Has anyone had their TDI engine maped and if so do they think it was worth the money :?:

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
briggsroc said:
Can anyone clarify the difference between having the original cpu remapped and having a super chip installed - apart for the obvious - is the new chip better than the original after it has been remapped.
briggsroc, a "superchip" is a remap. Years ago "chipping" a car basically involved replacing a chip in the ecu. Things have changed now and pretty much all upgrades are software remaps. For obvious reasons a lot of the tuning company have retained the "chips" name given the brand name they have built up.

briggsroc said:
I have beem quoted £299 + vat for having TDI 140bhp remapped with potential increase upto 175bhp. Has anyone had their TDI engine maped and if so do they think it was worth the money :?:
I have had a number of cars remapped including an A4 2.0tdi which went from 140bhp to 180bhp. It was most definetely worth it. I cant stress strongly enough how big an improvement it is and would definetely recommend you get it done.

I had major performance and fuel economy improvements.

I would strenuously advise you to use a recognised brand, with a proven track record and if possible a guarantee or warranty (as offered by superchips). For your peace of mind, at the end of the day it is a £20K motor. ;)

·
Registered
79 Posts
i think you misunderstood. we all said it was worth it and the risks are quite minimal if you use a recognised brand..

according to one survey, approx. 40 % of TDIs are remapped and running big mileages without a problem..

so my advise is remap it & enjoy it as the drive is much much better..

if i'd be doing less mileage i'd myself purchase a 1.4 TSI (insurance benefits) and getting it remapped, as it gets to 210bhp..

·
Registered
40 Posts
mate of mine has a bmw 320 d coupe rated at 150, after re-mapping this increased to about 178-80 ish with an increase in torque as well. he states that he is more than pleased with the results and as an added benefit fuel economy has improved also. according to the guy doing the re-mapping more people are getting this done fore the fuel economy benifits alone!

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
The Interceptor said:
Can anyone recommend the best place to get my roc remapped in the Derby area?
Superchips have dealers all over the UK, you can ring an order a bluefin and do the remap yourself, or if you would prefer a dealer to do it go on to their website www.superchips.co.uk and hit the "locate dealer" tab at the top. Had a quick look and I think the nearest one is Leicester:-

Graham Goode Racing
Lutterworth Road
Leicester
LE2 8PH
t: 0116 244 0080
f: 0116 244 0140

Dont forget to quote "scirocconet" for your 10% discount. :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
The Interceptor said:
Excellent thanks muchly. :)

Apologies if this has already been asked but what the situation with remapping and warranty. insurance etc?
You shouldnt have any issues with warranty (unless you get a "jobsworth" dealer) however, if something goes wrong that can be attributed to the remap (highly unlikely - but thats why you should use someone reputable like superchips) then VW might walk away, with Superchips you get a 12 month warranty free (can be extended for a charge) to cover this specific situation so you have no worries.

As for insurance, yes you should inform them. It will probably result in either an extra premium or an increased excess. However, as remaps are very difficult to detect, and insurance companies very rarely check for them (unless you have loads of other mods) in the event of a claim. Also a recent survey found 40% of 2nd hand turbo-diesels checked had been remapped and neither the dealer selling them nor the customer buying them knew it! :wtf:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.