Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have booked a test drive Saturday with a view to putting a deposit down if the figures add up :)

Unfortunaly though the garage only have petrol models available so have suggested that I drive the Scirocco in the petrol and then take a new Diesel Golf out to see how the engine is. :rolleyes: Not Ideal but better than nothing I suppose.

We covered my spec on the phone and they stated that they cannot supply with Xenons as there is a problem with them. Does anyone know what the problem is?

Finally I told them my expectations on what I want them to do price wise. I never gave a figure but stated I have seen some very competitive broker based deals supplied from UK VW dealerships. They told me they have failed to match these in the past and as the Scirocco is in demand they don't see great reductions but they will see what they can do. I will see what they say on this on Saturday. Reallistically if they get fairly close to the broker price I would probably be happy. Saves me a trip down south!!! :)

Can't wait till Sat!!!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Even though I planned to buy the diesel the dealer only had the 2.0 TSI, so I drove it, I already know what the 140 diesel engine is like in a golf. Problem being, I LOVED it!!!! I ended up ordering the 2.0 TSI :D :D :D
Sure, the diesel will give better economy, but what the hell, it might save me a couple of hundred quid over 12 months. Try the TSI, you might just tempt yourself! Insurance wasn't too bad either, I think that's the bit that surprised me the most, only a few quid different per month.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Buy the 2.0 TSI, bet it will bring a big grin to your face when you floored it on the test drive :lol:
In my opinion 2.0 petrol is the only way to go when buying a Rocco!
Leave the badges on, let everyone know whats under the hood :p

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats what I am concerned about !! :) I have booked the test drive in the TSI and being 5 years since I have driven a petrol with any power I am likley to fall in love with it. Still, must try and keep my sensible head on and get the diesel. Would cost me a fortune to run a petrol.

·
Registered
18 Posts
gingerscotsman said:
Thats what I am concerned about !! :) I have booked the test drive in the TSI and being 5 years since I have driven a petrol with any power I am likley to fall in love with it. Still, must try and keep my sensible head on and get the diesel. Would cost me a fortune to run a petrol.
How many miles are you doing then? I am doing over 1k a month and getting 37mpg so find it very reasonable.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do between 20 and 25K a year. Current car does about 42mpg so I could probably live with 37mpg. Will see how I get on tomorrow. Diesel is probably still the sensible option for me though.

Dealer looks like they will offer 10% off the new price. I think this is good going for negociation over the phone though I have never bought a new car and do not know what to expect. Has anyone here done better than 10%?

·
Registered
484 Posts
well done just drive it handy and mpg will stay up when ya hopin 2 have her

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I enjoyed my test drive immensely ! :)

I drove a white TSI with black alloys. It certainly was nice to drive, good driving position and very sure footed on the road. The pickup from the 2.0 TSI was excellent. I was very tempted to get the petrol but the average fuel consumption of 23.1mpg on the clock put me off. I realise the actual figures would be better but with that much power I don't think I would be able to keep to licence keeping speeds !! :rolleyes: My girlfriend in contrast hated the car. She sat in the back, complained the ride was harsh and that there was not much room. I reminded her that when she has £20K plus to spend on car she can choose it. She wants me to get a SAAB instead!!! :grumpy: I have been given 'permission' by her to purchase the car on the proviso that if we choose to have a second car she gets to pick it. Seems like a reasonable compromise to me.

I then moved to the new 2.0 TDi golf. This was very bland in comparison the the Scirocco. The engine was reasonably powerful but certainly not as exciting at the petrol. The golf interior was a bit cramped in the drivers seat I found and the seat adjustment was poor. Still it was just to see the engine and with a consumption in the high 40's that was good for me.

The dealer advised a 3 month delivery time and could not detail when they expected the Xenons to be available. I really want the xenons and am very tempted to wait until they are available. I had phoned the dealer earlier in the week and laid out my expectations price wise and walked in to a whopping £2000 off the list price. They advised they really wanted the business and that was the absolute best they could do. This is a discount of 8% which is not bad. Best I could find from a broker was £22700 with a fee of £300 I think it was so the dealer has done well in my opinion.

I did not order the car as I wanted to sleep on the decision but once I have let them stew for a few days I will probably go back and order. That is unless anyone has any good rumours of when the xenons are coming back????

Final thing was the offered me £1200 for my 406 coupe. This was quite disappointing as I would have liked at least £2000. I will sell this privately I think.

:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
The dealers seem to be limited to only VW used cars on the forecourt so they flog any other make to trade. So I had the same problem as you - I got 10% off the price which was great, but then they only offered £10K trade-in for my car when I know it is worth £15K.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ordered it today. Was given a mid April at the earliest delivery date.

Got £2K off in the end which I am happy with.

Now to looooooooong wait until I can go get it!!

:D :D :D

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
£2k off is a good shout. Factory orders are priority over stock so it *should* be sooner rather than later.

Just don't quote me on it if it turns into 16 weeks ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts