Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What the deal with them guys/gals i see almost all of you have changed the standard alloys, just wondered why... Whats wrong with the ones that come on it, i mean there not exactly small and ugly compared to some of the alloys going members cars!.

I apologize instantly to anyone if i offend them but custom alloy are just un-engineered, pride less pieces of work, why would some of you ruin a beautiful car by slamming crappy alloys on it. Personally guys i think there making your car look vulgar.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I, like you have no problem with the standard alloys. I think they are stylish and fit for purpose.

However, others may choose to fit other alloys. This is their personal choice based on what they see as looking best on their car. Whilst this may not be to our taste, is a choice which to them is like 'What colour will it be?'.

I am sure the alloys that people a choosing are not 'un-engineered' and certainly not cheap either. Again its what they think looks good on their cars. These people have proven that they have good taste in cars by choosing the Scirocco and I am sure do not change alloys just for the sake of it. It can be seen that lots of thought has went into their selection.

Will still be leaving mine well alone however! :)

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know as well as understand that its down to personal choice... and when i say un-engineered i mean the Alloys they choice have been made with no pride because there isn't a specific car there made for, 'Universal' if you like.
As an Engineer my self i can see which alloys and other product have been made quickly not poorly or cheaply but just not nicely.

for instance...

1. Look at the standard one supplied with the Scirocco... The way each spoke twists perfectly, in harmony.
:- To me they clearly show pride and the fact of pure achievement, to get the perfect angle on several spoke.

2. http://image.automobilemag.com/f/mu...803_07b+2009_lamborghini_gallardo_lP560-4.jpg Look at how each spoke crosses creating a perfect diamond like shape each time, which position directly over each brake disc bolt.
:- Again shows true pride and pure inspiration.

3.http://image.motortrend.com/f/multi...7_lamborghini_murcielago_lp640+wheel_view.jpg Look at how each single spoke it parted by a flawless 'half egg like' curve which then connects to a secondary rim.
:- Pure beauty, to achieve curves like that, in experience even computers and automated machines mess up... Its due to the computers configuration, the screen may have a feature to view it 3D but the computer communicates with the machine telling it its a 2D image... To get the overlapping affect they must make the top layer, leave the material to cool at the most perfect temperature or it will warp.

Now my point.

1. http://www.performancealloys.com/de...sizes='18x8'&price='115'&permission=734215414 Look at the simplest, most vulgar design ever.
:- incredibly cheap production... I know about production and i can tell you right now that, that will be on and conveyer and there will be a crappy Chinese machine producing that in under 2 minutes for 6 odd hours a day...

2. http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_563697_langId_-1_categoryId_165649 If Im right then they are forged alloys meaning its a 2 piece alloys.
:- I would not dream of putting a 2 piece alloy on my car if you watched topgear then you will see what happened to JC's Alfa cop car after he but a spike on the wheel, the rim came off and the spokes stayed on... 2 piece alloys blow out = turning into the stig, or being very lucky!.

3. http://www.oz-alloys.co.uk/p1046639.htm Not a bad design but too simple.
:-again massive production, and the spokes are far too thin thats why there 12. notice how there is a slight angle from the inner rim bit to the out it shows how it was all done in one procedure.

Now guys i am sorry... i know im nit picking and being an ass but for almost £800!. £800 which may be better spent on options.

Also i now Lamborghini and other super car manufactures have the money but they don't always get it right to.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Flux said:
:- I would not dream of putting a 2 piece alloy on my car if you watched topgear then you will see what happened to JC's Alfa cop car after he but a spike on the wheel, the rim came off and the spokes stayed on... 2 piece alloys blow out = turning into the stig, or being very lucky!.
That single statement basically dismisses anything you have said in that post.

2 piece alloys are dangerous - better tell BBS that, they've been making the most dangerous wheels in the world for a long time! :roll:

If you actually watched that episode he drilled through the wheel spokes!! :roll:

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes and applied a spike, thus putting undue stress on the alloy... its not what he done but how the alloy broke away!.

I've seen it happen, where people have skidded on ice hit a kerb very hard. and it's tore the alloy rim clean off... Surely don't want to put that on a car!

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh and i don't understand what you mean by 'dismissing everything i said in my post' because that is the only 2 piece alloys there.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Flux said:
Oh and i don't understand what you mean by 'dismissing everything i said in my post' because that is the only 2 piece alloys there.
You state 'as an engineer myself' but then go on to talk utter pish about the strength of two piece wheels, which you clearly have absolutely no idea about, as there are HUGE numbers of two piece wheels both in the OEM and Aftermarket and racing.

But obviously you know better than the real engineers :roll:

·
Registered
618 Posts

quick, go phone Porsche, they are gonna kill someone with cracy lightweight multipart wheels like those. . . . :lol:

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, now read again gentlemen because i can see people are not reading what I'm saying, i'll tell you what i'll do some quoting for you all shall I!.

Quote* 'As an Engineer my self i can see which alloys and other product have been made quickly not poorly or cheaply but just not nicely'.
Note i under lined poorly or cheaply, along with not!.

Quote* Also i know Lamborghini and other super car manufactures have the money but they don't always get it right to.
Note how i've been helpful and underlined the whole sentence here... look at the key words Lamborghini, Super car and money. Ironic really Andy because last time i checked the GT3 was a super car!. Even though those alloys are not made by Porsche, you think there on the for style... suddenly i feel a clash coming on here with my first quote about NOT being made Poorly or cheaply.

Now this is where i think you have last me here...

Quote* 'If Im right then they are forged alloys meaning its a 2 piece alloys'.
Ok i am partly to blame here for a unchecked note :roll: my bad, it seems as am saying that 2 piece alloys are bad, Im talking about the Forged bit, i apologize...
Quote* '2 piece alloys blow out = turning into the stig, or being very lucky!.' again sorry i never checked or noticed i was suppose to put Forged in front on 2 piece.

Also...
Quote* 'I apologize instantly to anyone if i offend'.
Im not trying to argue!.
Again Quote* 'I know as well as understand that its down to personal choice'

And Andy I'm quite confused when you say 'Real Engineers' i mean i currently have a masters in engineering which covers design, electronic systems, mechanical integration and civil rectification... I would class my self a real engineer, as well as being proud of it, if you must know i also have a commission within the Royal Marines which I'm also very pride of.

What do you do?.

By the way those alloys on the GT3 are horrible!.

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh right sound, do class your self as a real Engineer?... Anyways enough haggling lol, you doing in private or for the oil and gas giants? :)

·
Registered
372 Posts
Flux,

If people want to change their wheels that is up to them. There are many different reasons for doing so. I changed mine to larger wheels OZ ultraleggeras, which are better made IMO and suit my tastes better than the OEM interlagos. Wheel styles are always going to be a matter of opinion but at the end of the day you get what you pay for quality wise. You can't simply quote 3 different wheels and tar all manufacturers with the same brush. Those halfords wheels are designed for the budget market. Nobody with a ten year old corsa is going to spend 2 grand on wheels and tyres. The lambo wheels may be beautiful on a lambo but that doesn't mean they suit every car either, a wheel needs to be selected to suit the particular car.

Forged wheels are stronger and lighter than normal alloy and not necessarily 2 piece. My wheels were very expensive but this shows in the quality of the wheels. The OEM wheels are a nice design but weigh 23kgs with tyres each corner whereas mine way 10kgs per corner. Lots of money goes into the R&D of wheels at the upper end of the market. If everyones aftermarket wheels fell apart nobody would buy them! Some single piece OEM wheels can actually be weak in their design and the other safety benefits of lighter wheels such as handling and braking should not be overlooked.

Top manufacturers prove the quality of their products in motorsport. Where do you think car manufacturers get their wheels from? They rarely make them (partucularly on high performance vehicles). Companies such as BBS, OZ and so on are manfactureres of many OEM wheels for premium manufacturers.

In terms of spending money on options.... I have all the options i want already :D

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes i understand an agin i did say its what you you wanna do, and i couldn't agree more with you when you say Lambo wheels wont go on any car... but i never said they would i said it was engineered with pure pride!.

And the picture of the GT3 by Andy show that its not look but as you said performance... and forged wheel are not necessary dangerous, if done correctly... again the ones on that GT3 but i sure they went through extreme scrutiny by Porcshe. My point, in short is no car maker like VW, BM, Lambo all those giants wont but a forged alloy on a 20+k car made from a 30 year old Chinese automated machine, ad I'm sure you wouldn't either.

And some kid who buy from the budget market and make there car look like a shed, are what most call boy racers and chavz', and i couldn't careless what they do.

If i was one of the richest men in the world i still wouldn't spend 2+K on some wheels!.

If you want to do something then do it right not cheaply... No matter how long it takes, 'Rome wasn't built in a day'.

·
Registered
372 Posts
My guess would be that it's cost reasons that prevent the forged wheels being used on OEM applications. I think there are two separate debates here, forged wheels and multi-piece rims. Many BBS made rims are forged, hence their light weight. See cars such as the subaru impreza 22b, fitted with 7kg forged BBS 17" wheels. Multi piece wheels are fitted to Jags and Astons.

Can't comment on the age of chinese machinery but most of the top wheels seem to be made in italy. The OEM interlagos are made in turkey of all places!

·
Registered
618 Posts
Candy Monster said:
Multi piece wheels are fitted to Jags and Astons.
They are also fitted to most other manufacturers cars aswell.

VW/Audi have used split rims on cars since the 80's!

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes.

Guys I'm on about Forging the multiple piece together is just too dangerous, they may as well drop-hammer it!. And again BBS know what there doing my argument it production for cheap marketing all to make money, BBS have been there and done it now there experience has taking over, same applies to the rest!.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Forged wheels are different to multi piece wheels. Forging is to do with the manufacture of the actual wheel alloy/metal, basically producing stronger metal that can be used in lesser quantities to save weight. On multi piece rims, you'll find most of those cheap split rims are actually imitations. The top manufacturers know what they are doing, so nothing to worry about! Corrosion is generally the biggest problem with split rims.

·
Banned
86 Posts
flux you manged to pick some real duff choices as examples, people have their reasons be these for 'show' or 'go', some of the 'go' wheels whsilt not the best lookers are lighter reducing un sprung mass and supposed to (road going gt3 rs a good example as have lighter wheels), a 18'' roc wheel weighs in at 25lbs12oz (approx 11.7kgs) wheels such as pro race 1.2 gome in at around 9.0kgs

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Candy Monster... True :) corrosion yea lol never thought about that i guess you right.

And i don't see the point in Lighter alloys, i just really don't to i think its not an excuse say 'i got them because there lighter' but like i keep in almost every reply, i understand it up to you Im just not with it...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Flux said:
Candy Monster... True :) corrosion yea lol never thought about that i guess you right.

And i don't see the point in Lighter alloys, i just really don't to i think its not an excuse say 'i got them because there lighter' but like i keep in almost every reply, i understand it up to you Im just not with it...
As an engineer I would have thought you could see the point in lighter alloys, unsprung weight and all that...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts