Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:( 3 weeks 1200 miles and the first sodding stone chips. 2 on the offside front wheel and one by the bonnet badge. Looks like i will be keeping my local Chips away franchisee in business. He did a superb job on my sprint blue s4 so would have no hesitation in using him again. He even got a small car park ding out of it.

·
Registered
258 Posts
sorry to hear that mate. I use the franchise a lot seem to be a reasonable and use the right color match

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
imitebeurda said:
waggers said:
Has anyone tried that protective film that they advertise a lot in the car mags?
No, but I noticed its listed in the scirocco accessories PDF on the links page. Looks interesting, has anyone had it done? Ive lost count of the stonechips......... :cry:

http://www.volkswagen-zubehoer.de/sciro ... sories.pdf
I Just quizzed BM on this in another post, I asked a few months back and was told it is not available, but this might have changed since then, hopefully BM can come back with some good news as I am quite keen on getting it fitted.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I suppose the clear film could suffer damage itself but that is preferable to those horrible little chips and judging by how this has happened in such a low mileage i guess it is going to be an ongoing issue so i think providing it is virtually unnoticeable and the cost is not prohibitive, it will be a wise move to have it done. Perhaps we should organise a bulk buy for members?!,

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
waggers said:
I suppose the clear film could suffer damage itself but that is preferable to those horrible little chips and judging by how this has happened in such a low mileage i guess it is going to be an ongoing issue so i think providing it is virtually unnoticeable and the cost is not prohibitive, it will be a wise move to have it done. Perhaps we should organise a bulk buy for members?!,
When I picked up my car the dealer gave me a free touch up kit, thought it was just a wee luck penny, but I have used it more than polish!! :lol: :roll: Not sure whether it is the angle/shape of the bonnet but I have NEVER had a car with as many chips as the roc!! I purposefully now ensure I stay well behind anything in front or overtake everyone!! :D (my wife does not believe the "stone chips" excuse, but Im sticking with it!!)

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
imitebeurda said:
waggers said:
When I picked up my car the dealer gave me a free touch up kit, thought it was just a wee luck penny, but I have used it more than polish!! :lol: :roll: Not sure whether it is the angle/shape of the bonnet but I have NEVER had a car with as many chips as the roc!! I purposefully now ensure I stay well behind anything in front or overtake everyone!! :D (my wife does not believe the "stone chips" excuse, but Im sticking with it!!)
Since I had mine. i've got 3 chips on the bonnet, a couple on the valance and also had a broken mirror repeater lense. Had a lucky escape when a large stone (I actually saw it coming) hit the car, luckily it made first contact with the screen and bounced off over the car, left a small mark in the laminate, but reckon it would have dented the tin had it hit the front panels.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi,
I think the root to this problem is the quality of the paint being used, not just by vw, Our friends in the EU are forcing paint makers to produce greener versions which seems to be making it easier to chip, Stone chips used to be little tiny spots on the bonnet, i seem to get huge ragged chunks which often go through to bare metal or to the base layers, I am looking into geting the bonnet resprayed by vw in a year at my cost and then get it laquered with an old school laquer to try and stop these huge chips occuring again.

·
Registered
40 Posts
i had a seat cordoba gt in flash red first model out 94 on an m plate,looked great but had foty to fifty chips within 3 months on th bonnet , had it resprayed with 2-pac , what a differance , 1 or 2 a year after that. vw paint does appear to be rather brittle, more so than ford or gm the only sollution is to do what i did to the cordoba or have a film coat put on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've done 2200 miles and have nine chips on my three month old Roc. Seven were received in one horrifying moment when I and the Honda in front of me ploughed into unmarked road resurfacing at 50 mph between Basingstoke and Newbury on Saturday evening, flamin heck was I p**sed at that.

The ones on the bumper are really bad as they show through as black, not good on my shiny green car. Where can I get a Viper Green touch up pen and the plastic coating?! Or is it wise to let the experts deal with this kind of damage? Anyone know if VW will sort it and at what cost? Each new chip is like losing a limb. I checked out a five year old BMW in Sainsburys car park and didn't see one chip.... Gerrrr

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Nic said:
I've done 2200 miles and have nine chips on my three month old Roc. Seven were received in one horrifying moment when I and the Honda in front of me ploughed into unmarked road resurfacing at 50 mph between Basingstoke and Newbury on Saturday evening, flamin heck was I p**sed at that.

The ones on the bumper are really bad as they show through as black, not good on my shiny green car. Where can I get a Viper Green touch up pen and the plastic coating?! Or is it wise to let the experts deal with this kind of damage? Anyone know if VW will sort it and at what cost? Each new chip is like losing a limb. I checked out a five year old BMW in Sainsburys car park and didn't see one chip.... Gerrrr
Your dealer will do you a paint+lacquer touch up kit for £6.49. Do the paint bit first. Leave it a day then add a bit more and repeat until the chip is filled almost flush. Then leave it for a few days more. use a wee bit of T-Cut to get rid of the excess then repeat with the Lacquer. Might be overkill but works for me. By the time I'm done it's as if the chip never happened.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.