Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner

The Future of SciroccoNet * IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT *

22K views 51 replies 21 participants last post by  Theblackpearl 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone,

Someone of you won't know the background of how SciroccoNet came to be so let me briefly explain this before I let you know what is happening now.

The site was incepted by a lovely chap called Tony. Tony ran it up until I took it over from him around a year and a half ago. Up until then I had been involved as a Moderator and was involved in redesigning the look and feel of the site to bring it up to date. Anyway, Tony asked me to take the site off his hands as he had decided that he wasn't going to buy a Scirocco anymore (he had been holding out for the release of the R but when it was launched decided that it priced to highly). Tony felt that the best thing for the site would be to pass the torch to someone who had a passion for the subject matter and who could further develop it.

Since taking it over I've completely revamped the look and feel to what it is today and implemented a number of features such as the Dubkorps medals system and the "Like" button. Since taking the site from Tony my priorities have vastly changed. I became a father (my son is now 10 months old) and my lease on the car is approaching an end in April next year (I might keep it but more than likely I will cease to become a Scirocco owner). These two situations contribute to a diminished amount of time and effort for the site. Although I still regularly post, there is a lot of work to be done to take the site to the next level and increase its popularity on the world wide web.

I am not the man for the job.

I now find myself much in the same position as Tony was when he passed the site to me. With all that in mind I've been thinking about what's now best for the community. It's going to take someone with a lot of resources to push it to the next level and so I have decided to pass that torch on to another who has the ability to make that happen.

That other is Steve Dawson. Steve owns a small outfit called tyreforums.com and has lots of experience and expertise in running forums. Steve will add SciroccoNet to Tyreforums existing portfolio of online properties and has the skills, back up and resources to take the forum forward.

WHAT THIS MEANS NOW
Not much will change in the short term, other than the forum will be migrated to Tyreforums stable servers and I will go from being an Admin to a normal member of the site. The existing moderating and regional rep team will continue in their roles for as long as they want them and the site will pretty much remain the same. Steve will be concentrating on the development of the site and leave the community to pretty much run itself with the help of the aforementioned team.

WHAT THIS MEANS IN THE LONG TERM
In the long run it should mean a professionally managed forum, with greater opportunities for sponsorship involvement and discounts, not to mention better exposure and popularity across the internet for the site. All this should continue to increase our membership, resulting in a vibrant community and increase our exposure across the web.

It will be strange taking my hands off the reins but I need to admit to the fact that I am not the person to realise SciroccoNet's full potential. With this move, I no longer need to worry about the welfare of the forum and our community even as my own priorities shift. I look forward to seeing where Steve can take us.

Thanks,

Derek

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello everyone,

My name is Steve Dawson and I own and operate a small company called tyreforums.com. It's never easy for someone to let go of a great community like this and I wish Derek all the very best moving forward.

Regarding the site, I have no intention in changing anything. Derek has done an exceptional job and I will be working with the staff as a team in order to try and keep the forum running as smoothly as it was before. I would like to try and make this transition seamless to the extent where it did not seem there was a transfer of ownership.

I look forward to being a part of this community and to help make this site run as well as it always have, keeping the site growing and moving forward.

So, I think I'm done blathering on for now! But I'd love for people to ask questions and express your thoughts, so please free feel to do so! Thank you all for reading all this and for making this community the amazing place that it is! :)

Thank you and look forward to meeting and working with you all.

Cheers,

Steve

#5 ·
I'll just echo Mick - Welcome Steve & thanks to Derek for the work he's put into the site. I went through a bit of time where I didn't visit here very regularly (I think it was after the big petrol -v- diesel debate of 2009!) and when I came back it was all different - for the better.

#6 ·
Have to admit the site has came leaps and bounds since the early days, credit to Der where it's due...as already said long may that continue :thumbup:

#9 ·

Cheers for all of your help since I've joined Der've. I've only been on about a year (that's gone quickly) but even so you've made massive changes for the better and never been afraid of trying new things... even if the chat feature was pump.

#11 ·
Well the Scirocco isn't going anywhere till at least April and I still intend to be an active forum member so don't worry (or commiserations!) I won't be disappearing any time soon! Oh & No Golf R is overpriced in my taste and too similar to the Roc. If I change, I want something complete different.

@Richie - Chat feature was utter donkey pump.

#17 ·
I've got a question for the new administrator, will he be actually turning up for some meets? ;) In al seriousness in the short time I've been on here I've found it to be a pretty helpful forum in all, just a shame the scirocco is still a pretty rare car so the membership numbers are still fairly low. I'll not do an ode to Der cause hell go all red, but cheers for running the site!

#19 ·
Derboy said:
LOL! - Conspiracy theorists everywhere... :D
In which case rob would actually be your alter ego :lol:

#22 ·
Derek,

Thanks for all your help and support you've put into the site - I'm actually surprised you lasted so long - knowing how much time a new-born takes up !! On a personal level we are loving life down under in Perth, Australia - nearly a year already - how time flies in. My Roc left the UK On 09-Oct and should be here on 15-Nov - bought a number plate for it - SCIROCCO1 - tried to get SCIROCCO but it was gone - suspect by a VW dealer in Perth probably !! Will post some photos when I get it on. LCM is due over soon - will meet up with him for a few beers and a barby. Just remember if you ever fancy coming over for a holiday there will now be 2 places to stay free of charge. Give my regards to your dad !! TJ

#25 ·
Derek,

The reason I brought the Scirocco over was that we love the work and lifestyle over here and we are applying for Permanent Residence - my company is going to sponsor me. We are renting just now - but busy saving up for a deposit for our own house with pool early/mid next year. This really is one of the most expensive places to live in the world but fortunately we both have good jobs with great money - so the sky's the limit. Scirocco, House, Pool, Boat, Campervan - in that order !! Lol So in answer to your question - we'll still be here when your wee man is a teenager !! Lol Tell your mum and dad their wecome too !! TJ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.