Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A number of members have clearly spent a lot of money in tuning and modifying their scirocco. I wonder how this impacts on insurance costs (presumably they have advised their insurance company) and residual values (suspect most second-hand buyers would go for an unmodified car)?
Also, if you modify the car and then revert to the standard spec when you sell it, should the second owner be aware of this?

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
I you mob you car using BluFin then just simply revert the map back, I believe once its saved within the BluFin console, you can put your old map back from the car in minutes.

As for visual mod, why bother? As said by every reviewer its probably the best looking car of its range all together.

I would, personally let the new buyer know only if the mods are still in place... Remember only tell the buyer what he wants to know e.g. Only answer his questions!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
scottyroc said:
no never tell my insurance...they just rip you from there on in....then again i dont mod what the eye can see really,
if you have new wheels prob a good idea to inform them, but wheels dont do it for me..

roc on....
A high risk strategy in my opinion; if after an accident an insurance company found out you had modified your Scirocco and not told them very simply you would be uninsured. Surely better to pay out a bit more premium and have peace of mind?

·
Registered
128 Posts
scottyroc said:
no never tell my insurance...they just rip you from there on in....then again i dont mod what the eye can see really,
if you have new wheels prob a good idea to inform them, but wheels dont do it for me..

roc on....
Selfish attitude. You would not be insured if they found out.

What happens to the poor sod you hit.

If you can afford to mod a Roc you can afford the extra premium.

Dave

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
scottyroc said:
DJW said:
scottyroc said:

roc on....

Dave
oh well expert driver that i am,

i have wrote off two leon cupra r worth over 18k each

1 nissan navara worth 20k

all were modded...insurers sent an engineer but no assesor...and never bothered...so i'll stick to it but i can see why people would air on the side of caution...

as for the third party...its actually the insurers responsability to make sure your car is as they assume...third parties always end up sorted

roc on..........
remind me never to ask for a lift :)

·
Registered
283 Posts
i changed to a mod friendly insurer i've declared my mods, some you declare but they won't payout on them, mine l supply like with like and not put car back to standard, just keep your receipts for your bits and bobs to make life easier

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
DJW said:
scottyroc said:

roc on....

Dave
I'm sorry but that's simply not true. The third party is always covered and whether or not the insured is covered is subjective and depends very much on the underwriters at the insurance company. This seems to crop up all the time on here. So let's just highlight it: if you have an insurance policy, no matter what you disclose or don't disclose about your car, THE THIRD PARTY IS ALWAYS COVERED. IT'S THE LAW.

Not having a go at you Dave or anyone for that matter but this myth keeps permeating and simply not true.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, but that is not to say your insurance company could not sue you to recover all or part of their third party costs in the event of non-disclosure by you. Unless you had no assets, they probably would.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Apparently in a recent test 40% of used VW/audi turbodiesel cars tested had been remapped. These cars were being sold without the dealer or the customers knowledge. Many original owners had the cars remapped for performance/economy gains and never mentioned it when trading their cars in. This begs the question how do you know if you buy a 2nd hand car that it hasnt already been remapped?

I spoke with an insurance assessor for a leading car insurance company recently, his response was that unless the car was "visually" modified they would not generally look for remaps as it was a nightmare to actually prove. So while you should without a doubt inform your insurance company if you get it done there are by all accounts a hell of a lot of people driving remapped cars that dont even know it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Each individual has to make their own decision on the issue of what they tell their insurance company but they just need to remember there is a risk (maybe small) of a catastrophic financial outcome if things go wrong.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Some interesting comments, I for one did not know that it is law that the 3rd party must always be covered. I also agree that this would not prevent the insurance company seeking to recover their losses if the policy holder had not made a full disclosure, and see no reason why they would not follow this through given that the amounts could run into 10's or 100's of thousands or even more in extreme cases. Also having owned and still own modified cars to date every detail is disclosed so in event of any claim I know that a) I will be covered. b) I will get back everthing I em entitled to. I have not yet modified the rocco but it could be seeing a set of springs and a remap soon, both of which will be disclosed to the insurer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.