Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in upgrading the standard speakers in my Roc. They are OK-ish, but they seem a bit cruddy when compared to my Bose speakers in my old TT (probably an unfair comparison) and also when compared to the standard speakers in my wife's 09 Passat CC (should be a fairer comparison). So me thinks there must be something that can be done...

A quick search on this forum and it's leading competitor doesn't reveal much other than a few threads on fitting a sub woofer.

I know you can buy aftermarket speakers - but where do you start and how do you know that what you buy will actually sound better?

Many thanks.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I wonder if the roc has paper cone speakers? They are not bad for a standard system IMO. I'm guessing most aftermarket speakers from leading brands would be much better though and not really that expensive. Who's going to be the first one to remove the door cards and interior pannels so we know what size the standard speakers are?

If you want a louder/more powerful system you'll need an amp (The Dynaudio system has an amp). If it's just a crisper sound and less rattle at high volume speakers should do the job.

I don't know much about ICE but I would have thought £50 a pair should buy something fairly decent. Just buy a good make (sony, pioneer, kenwood etc)

Finding out the size of the standard speakers and the power output of the head unit will be a starting point. Adapters may be needed to fit aftermarket speakers.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Candy Monster said:
I don't know much about ICE but I would have thought £50 a pair should buy something fairly decent. Just buy a good make (sony, pioneer, kenwood etc)
Hmmm... Pioneer are the only decent manufacturer in that short list ;-) Alpine are also good, JL Audio, Infinity, Audiobanhn... depends what kind of sound you want for the most part and how much you have to spend.

Id hazard a guess that the door speakers are 16cm drivers... you could get a decent pair of infinity components perhaps (not for £50 though!)

Cheers, Tim

·
Registered
372 Posts
timperrett said:
Candy Monster said:
Hmmm... Pioneer are the only decent manufacturer in that short list ;-) Alpine are also good, JL Audio, Infinity, Audiobanhn... depends what kind of sound you want for the most part and how much you have to spend.

Id hazard a guess that the door speakers are 16cm drivers... you could get a decent pair of infinity components perhaps (not for £50 though!)

Cheers, Tim
told you i don't know much about ice, :lol: I've never changed speakers before as i'm not much of a stereo nut, so i'll leave it for the guys who know what they are talking about to lead the way...

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
richroc said:
I'm interested in upgrading the standard speakers in my Roc. They are OK-ish, but they seem a bit cruddy when compared to my Bose speakers in my old TT (probably an unfair comparison) and also when compared to the standard speakers in my wife's 09 Passat CC (should be a fairer comparison). So me thinks there must be something that can be done...

A quick search on this forum and it's leading competitor doesn't reveal much other than a few threads on fitting a sub woofer.

I know you can buy aftermarket speakers - but where do you start and how do you know that what you buy will actually sound better?

Many thanks.
I'm also taking the plunge and changing the speakers. Go to the Pioneer site and it will tell you what ones will fit. I've went for these: http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/products/25/132/201/TS-1702i/index.html. Not sure how to get the back side panels off but the front doors are simple enough.

G

·
Evil Derboy said:
richroc said:

Many thanks.
I'm also taking the plunge and changing the speakers. Go to the Pioneer site and it will tell you what ones will fit. I've went for these: http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/products/25/132/201/TS-1702i/index.html. Not sure how to get the back side panels off but the front doors are simple enough.
Hi Derboy.

If you could take some pics during your upgrade i would appreciate it i.e. how the door pannels come appart.

Also your thoughts on the upgrades vs standard would be a great help.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
No worries.

The door panels are easy enough. You'll need a plastic trim tool (ordered from ebay) and a torx driver. There's two screws at the bottom of the door panel on the underside. Then you pry off the silver bit of the door grab handle to reveal the remaining screws.

Haven't a clue about the back ones though! Will just need to have a poke about and see. My opinion on the standard system is that treble is fine it's the mid and bass that pretty junk. With that in mind I'm not changing the tweeters, just the speakers themselves, which are 6.5", 17cm size.

Won't be till the weekend after next before I have a chance to have a crack at it. If no-one steps in beforehand and does a guide I'll do one. BUT I think I'll definitely need to hear from someone who can tell me how to take the rear panels off first.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks...that's more like the kind of straight replacement I had in mind (don't really want to fill my boot up with a bassbox as in the pictures someone gave a link to !!).

Keep us posted when you do it. How much were the new speakers?

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Well. There was a bit of screw up there. The ones I wanted were out of stock and I got messed around a we bit on the phone. They have suggested In-Phase Audio speakers which I'd never heard of but they were coming in at £55 per set (the Pioneers were £35 a set). They've done a deal with me and given me two set's of the In-Phase ones at £40 a set instead.

Hadn't heard of them before but apparently they're a british company and are very good. Will need to wait and see.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
These bad boys have just arrived.

IMG00020-20090506-1311.jpg

You can move the tweeter about in the centre to direct it anyway you like which is pretty cool. They seem well built and are quite heavy so those are all good signs. Will just need to wait and see what they sound like.

Apparently you need to take the back seats out to get the rear side panels off to fit the rears. That'll be a laugh. Away for my stag do this weekend so will have a crack at it the following and let you know how I get on.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.