Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the VW used car website I notice there are 9 used 2.0 TSI Sciroccos (well loaded and probably ex-demos) advertised at £24k or more. Bearing in mind you can buy a new 2.0 TSI from £20.5k less discount I wonder who is going to buy them?

·
Registered
8 Posts
The demo car I tested was up for sale at £23.5k & it was pretty close to the spec I was looking for, but when I asked what they could do for me on the price,
all I was offered was "a few hundred quid off" :eek:

When I pointed out that it's a tough time of year & there are lots of good deals to be had, the salesman didn't even seem interested, so I went to another dealer & got an identical spec car for over £4K less. I really don't know who would buy any of these at the prices they're asking.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was talking to a dealer last weekend, he wouldn't budge on any prices (Polo or Scirocco) and actually said they were struggling to keep cars on the forecourt as they were selling so many.... :roll:

·
Registered
277 Posts
TH3R4POR said:
I was talking to a dealer last weekend, he wouldn't budge on any prices (Polo or Scirocco) and actually said they were struggling to keep cars on the forecourt as they were selling so many.... :roll:
Do they actually think we are that dumb??

·
Registered
15 Posts
albertz33 said:
TH3R4POR said:
Do they actually think we are that dumb??
apparently so.

The missus had her bartering hat on though, which was funny (she is rubbish at it).

Missus: "OK.... so what's your best price?"
Sales Guy: "It's written on the windscreen."
Missus: "OK.... :oops: "

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BM - when you say 'you can't buy one', not sure what you mean? Business should start picking up a bit in the run up to the 09 reg; be interesting to see the no of new cars registered in March.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
been offered a few speccy roc's recently, 2.0t gt and I've offered £18k for each with a supposed retail of £20k but everyone wants £20k trade for these. By the time we've mpc'd these cars and put roadside assistance on it and dug someone out their p/x its getting unappealing and close to the price we can register a new one for assuming full margin. Used roc a premium at the mo but it needs spec.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Interesting comments here, I was talking with my VW dealer yesterday about my Roc (which is due at end of March) and he was saying that they have been taking lots of orders. I took the comment with a pinch of salt initially but I think he is actually right. The Scirocco sales got off to a bit of a slow start as unfortuately it was launched by VW last September just when the major banks were struggling (or going under) and there were worldwide jitters!

I think this severely affected sales initially but there is no doubt a bit of a push now from VW to promote it. Undoubtedly we will soon see more on the roads but I hope it does not become common. I keep being told it is a 'niche' model, we shall see!

·
Registered
277 Posts
new car sales were down almost 60% on this time last year, im sure VW are not imune to that, and to be honest forecourt salesman will never admit to it being a tough time, if they did they would be opening the door for a discount straight away, born liars every one of them.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Further to business manager's thread, I guess if you have paid £25k or more for your Scirocco in the last 6 months, then an offer of £18k is off-putting to say the least! However, in fairness if you sell practically any car within months of buying it new you are going to take a massive hit. In this connection, I very much doubt Scirocco's will be worth around 60% of their purchase price after 3 years as some motoring journals are claiming.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
tallguy said:
BM - when you say 'you can't buy one', not sure what you mean? Business should start picking up a bit in the run up to the 09 reg; be interesting to see the no of new cars registered in March.
What I mean is that after 4 months of heavy book hits cars are cheaper than they have been for years. Now values are rising so buying one with the aim of taking a profit out of it is tough, guide figures rose 4% in feb as a result, we all cleared our forecourts and then needed to buy stock. The lease companies now expect is to pay £1000+ into book for late plate used cars but customers are still expecting big deals, although most have now realised if they didn't buy in jan they've lost out and now need to pay more.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I very much doubt Scirocco's will be worth around 60% of their purchase price after 3 years as some motoring journals are claiming.
When looking at PCP the GFV for a 3 year deal on a £20.6k car was 55% so VW must be pretty sure they are going to hold their value or else they are exposing themselves to a huge chunk of risk.

Also, while up in manchester picking up my Scirocco the other weekend I spent a good few hours in the dealer and have to say there was a constant stream of people coming in the door and even queuing in reception to see a 'sales advisor' I also heard multiple phone callers taking messages for sales advisors who were not available to talk. This came after dealing with my guy from afar (200 miles south) and laways having to leave him a message to get back to me. Oh, and the day I was at the dealer was a friday afternoon in February so not peak time at the weekend. In his words they are currently stretched and looking to hire another sales advisor if the trend continues into March. Draw your own conclusions on this but there are deals to be had and cars priced right are selling fast (just like houses priced right) in fact I sold my 54 plate Touran in 36 hours in the autotrader by pricing midway £1.5k abouve the dealer p/ex price.

I also saw the same ex/demo well spec'd cars for £24K + and didn't even bother to call the dealer, some still believe they will sell, but IMHO if you want a bargain hold your horses and your nerve, be prepared to let 1 or 2 pass you by and you'll get the right car for the right price.

Happy hunting,
Justin

1 - 13 of 13 Posts