Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at the VW used car web site there appear to be a lot of non-GT TDIs for sale. Although I am sure this model is doing well in the fleet sector, suspect it is not popular with private buyers who would rather have a 1.4 TSI which gives better performance and refinement for similar money.

·
Registered
27 Posts
tallguy said:
Looking at the VW used car web site there appear to be a lot of non-GT TDIs for sale. Although I am sure this model is doing well in the fleet sector, suspect it is not popular with private buyers who would rather have a 1.4 TSI which gives better performance and refinement for similar money.
I bought a non-GT TDi and I am a private user. I am sure I am not the only one but people are quite hesitant to acknowledge they have bought a diesel. :) But, yeah, statistic shows that non-GT TDis are the least preferred models.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
tallguy said:
The TDI is a good car with low running costs so must make a sensible private buy.
As usual it all depends on what your requirements are, leaving the 2.0Tsi out of the discussion the 1.4Tsi and 2.0Tdi and well aligned in and given the lower price of the 1.4 the payback on the diesel runs into years... so it certainly pays to do your own comparison based upon purchase price, type of driving and expected mileage and don;t forget to include the fuel price differential.

In case I need to remind anyone and for the benefit of new members there is a good calculator on the parkers website.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Just had a look at that Parkers calculator and was wondering how the residual value of the TDI is being factored in? When it comes time to trade the car in, if it continues to be worth more than the TSI then the calculation of miles to break won't be quite right will it?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought the same when I looked at the Parker's site. However, if the 2.0 TDI is not as popular as the 1.4 TSI with private buyers currently probably the safest bet is to assume similar depreciation on both variants over time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.