Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Got a new scirocco (obviously or wouldn't be on here), a GT 2.0 TSI.
When you accelerate there is a vibration/rattle/blowing noise from the central area of the vehicle, it sounds like what you would get if there was a hole in the exhaust or a gap in some turbo pipe thing.

Took it to the dealer, they initially agreed and said it sounds wrong and took it in to the workshop. But now are saying they can't find any faults and that the sound is normal on this model - HELP, anyone else have this as I am not convinced it is 'normal'.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeh, Raspy thats the word for it - so you think its normal on this model?

Anyone who has this model and doesnt have this noise, would be grateful if you let me know also.

Cheers all.

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
laura said:
Yeh, Raspy thats the word for it - so you think its normal on this model?

Anyone who has this model and doesnt have this noise, would be grateful if you let me know also.

Cheers all.
yeah it seems normal you can hear a little turbo whistle too, i drive under local longish railway bridge and boot it it sounds even louder

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Yep, suspect its a combination of the throaty exhaust and turbo whine, Ive noticed that as my exhaust "coke's up" it has got a little louder (quite liking it actually!! :D not that I need any encouragement to give it some!!) If the dealer though initially thought there was something not right and then changed their mind you might want to get a second opinion, just to be sure to be sure...... :)

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
imitebeurda said:
Yep, suspect its a combination of the throaty exhaust and turbo whine, Ive noticed that as my exhaust "coke's up" it has got a little louder (quite liking it actually!! :D not that I need any encouragement to give it some!!) If the dealer though initially thought there was something not right and then changed their mind you might want to get a second opinion, just to be sure to be sure...... :)
I would go for a 2nd opinion as the dealer comments do sounds like they thought it was not right, looked and could not identify any obvious problem so concluded that it was ok. Also consider that any turbo'd car sounds very different under load than it does running on the ramp or revving in neutral so if you have a particualr noise under load this may not be present when not.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I'd suspect its the turbo whistling.

·
Registered
484 Posts
check the cat might b that

·
Registered
258 Posts
I had a demo for a week, 3 days in a manual and 4 in the DSG (2.0 TSI) and they both had this noise you describe. At first I thought I had been over eager and done the exhaust in!

So, with my limited experience (car only arriving early June) from the above week long test drive, it is normal. :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,

I have the same 2.0 GT roc and have the same "raspy" exhaust note. The dealer demo was the same and i was told its a design feature. Its more noticeable at low revs. I've gotta admit, childish as it may seem, i love it!! ;)

Andy.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
AGM said:
Hi,

I have the same 2.0 GT roc and have the same "raspy" exhaust note. The dealer demo was the same and i was told its a design feature. Its more noticeable at low revs. I've gotta admit, childish as it may seem, i love it!! ;)

Andy.
Nothing wrong with being childish... I regularly get called that, or immature and told to grow up... maybe one day but not today as i'm having too much fun. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was due to pick up my new roc tomorrow but have been told that it is subject to a VW recall to fix a noisy (whistling?) turbo. The demo I drove didn't seem to have it and I have not yet driven my one. So tomorrow I go the dealer to pick up a courtesy car rather than my new one. I wonder if this is the noise that the original poster was talking about.

·
Registered
222 Posts
dublorunner said:
I was due to pick up my new roc tomorrow but have been told that it is subject to a VW recall to fix a noisy (whistling?) turbo. The demo I drove didn't seem to have it and I have not yet driven my one. So tomorrow I go the dealer to pick up a courtesy car rather than my new one. I wonder if this is the noise that the original poster was talking about.
sure does sound like everyones noises.

Is your car a 2.0 Tsi?

See if you can find out what the recall involves e.g a turbo change, modification.....

strange that they are doing it before you even got the car so it means the recall is being done without a customer complaint

·
Registered
222 Posts
dublorunner said:
Yes its a 2.0 TSI and I knew nothing about the recall until I was told that it would not be ready as it was waiting for parts.
if you can do everyone here a a favour and find out tomorrow what they are doing to your car and for what reason. I know you are new to the scirocco having not even got to drive you new car but quite a few owners have noticed a rasping/rattling noise coming from somewhere like the turbo. Myself included got that noise on the drive home after picking up my new car

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just returned from picking up my courtesy car. The salesman, not the service people, said that it was a problem with the turbo. It required a new one which was on back order. That they had recalled two of their new cars and that he thought that there were about a hundred affected in the UK. They would not let me take the car as they considered it too risky so provided me with a Golf. As i have said I didn't drive my car and therefore did not hear the noise so cannot describe it. When they did the pdi it was obvious it would seem to the mechanics. Sorry cant help any more. Now expect delivery sometime next week as a new turbo is expected by the end of the week. My first drive of the new Golf diesel but I think that it is the low powered one as it just states HDI on the back. Only driven in 30/40 zones so far so no indication of how well it goes.

·
Registered
222 Posts
cheers for that, i phoned my dealer this morning with my chassis number to see if my car has any outstanding recalls but they said no so yours must have been pretty bad. ours must just be normal

1 - 20 of 214 Posts