Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Volkswagen has been honoured with a trio of awards for its newest models in the prestigious What Diesel Car of the Year Awards.

Chief among these awards was one for the new Golf which beat a total of 23 entrants to the title of ‘Best Medium Car’.

Launched in January the Golf Mk VI has continued the sustained popularity of the Golf range in the UK. Powered by an advanced range of 2.0-litre TDI common rail diesel engines in 110 PS and 140 PS form they combine the ability to travel in excess of 690 miles on a single tank of fuel with refinement and low emissions.

Presenting the award, Editor of What Diesel Magazine, Ian Robertson, commented: ‘If there’s a better designed, better built car of its size than the sixth generation Golf, we’ve yet to discover it.’

The new Scirocco 2.0-litre TDI 140 PS was also honoured, scooping the ‘Best Coupé’ award. In a hard-fought category the Scirocco beat 14 other contenders through its mix of style, agility and low running costs.

‘We applaud the Scirocco as our winning coupé,’ said Ian Roberston. ‘It is svelte, sexy, terrific fun and good value.’

The Green Award was also collected by Volkswagen. In the past year Volkswagen has further expanded its BlueMotion range of vehicles with the announcement of the new Golf BlueMotion cable of achieving 74 mpg and the new Polo BlueMotion II concept that returns a combined 83 mpg. Production cars such as the new Passat BlueMotion II featuring Stop-Start technology have gone on sale along with the introduction of new, ever more efficient engines. In addition new concepts have also been unveiled in the form of the Golf TwinDrive, Passat EcoFuel and Touareg Hybrid.

‘Volkswagen has taken great strides this year in trying to reduce environmental impact, having unveiled the 99 g/km Golf BlueMotion and 87 g/km Polo BlueMotion II Concept,’ said Ian Robertson.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Tony the silence after this post is deafening...have you gone so far into tdi territory that not even le savage will follow??

·
Registered
454 Posts
zum wohl said:
Tony the silence after this post is deafening...have you gone so far into tdi territory that not even le savage will follow??
I'll take it!!! -

Any compliment on the Roc can't be bad and we are all proud of owning a car that receives such deighities however as a petrol head I find the award to be in the "Oscar Raspberry" category.

VW Acceptance Speach -

"we are proud to accept his award however we have built a 3 door sports coupe with stunning looks, excellent performace and amazing handling - but to pay for the research an development on this car we have had to put a diesel engine in the range to capture the tight fisted/company car/tree hugging (possibly bunny boiling) brigade to ensure we shift enough units"

"Our previous sports coupe the Carrado, was loved by millions but owned by so few which means that - reluctantly - we have had to put a tractor engine in one of the coolest cars on the road today. For this we apologise to the real Scirocco drivers however without the "no spark plug brigade" we would have never have been able to justify launching this iconic vehicle.

Get in !!!

·
Registered
277 Posts
LCM said:
zum wohl said:
I'll take it!!! -

Any compliment on the Roc can't be bad and we are all proud of owning a car that receives such deighities however as a petrol head I find the award to be in the "Oscar Raspberry" category.

VW Acceptance Speach -

"we are proud to accept his award however we have built a 3 door sports coupe with stunning looks, excellent performace and amazing handling - but to pay for the research an development on this car we have had to put a diesel engine in the range to capture the tight fisted/company car/tree hugging (possibly bunny boiling) brigade to ensure we shift enough units"

"Our previous sports coupe the Carrado, was loved by millions but owned by so few which means that - reluctantly - we have had to put a tractor engine in one of the coolest cars on the road today. For this we apologise to the real Scirocco drivers however without the "no spark plug brigade" we would have never have been able to justify launching this iconic vehicle.

Get in !!!
ooooh! you go girl!

·
Registered
79 Posts
LCM said:
zum wohl said:
I'll take it!!! -

VW Acceptance Speach -

Get in !!!
LMAO :D

To quote Clarkson "It's like saying to yourself... No... I won't go down Stringfellow's for a lapdance... I'll get my Mum to give me one... she's a woman.... Yeah but... urrrghhhhh..."

·
Registered
79 Posts
So, apparently, diesel is the way to go! ;)

Happy to have made the right choice.

·
Registered
150 Posts
zum wohl said:
I would just like to clarify, that despite currently owning spark plugs I remain relatively neutral on this issue... :eek: I was however looking forward to another thread of epic porportions of fun...

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
TonyIroc said:
Volkswagen has been honoured with a trio of awards for its newest models in the prestigious What Diesel Car of the Year Awards.

Chief among these awards was one for the new Golf which beat a total of 23 entrants to the title of ‘Best Medium Car’.

Launched in January the Golf Mk VI has continued the sustained popularity of the Golf range in the UK. Powered by an advanced range of 2.0-litre TDI common rail diesel engines in 110 PS and 140 PS form they combine the ability to travel in excess of 690 miles on a single tank of fuel with refinement and low emissions.

Presenting the award, Editor of What Diesel Magazine, Ian Robertson, commented: ‘If there’s a better designed, better built car of its size than the sixth generation Golf, we’ve yet to discover it.’

The new Scirocco 2.0-litre TDI 140 PS was also honoured, scooping the ‘Best Coupé’ award. In a hard-fought category the Scirocco beat 14 other contenders through its mix of style, agility and low running costs.

‘We applaud the Scirocco as our winning coupé,’ said Ian Roberston. ‘It is svelte, sexy, terrific fun and good value.’

The Green Award was also collected by Volkswagen. In the past year Volkswagen has further expanded its BlueMotion range of vehicles with the announcement of the new Golf BlueMotion cable of achieving 74 mpg and the new Polo BlueMotion II concept that returns a combined 83 mpg. Production cars such as the new Passat BlueMotion II featuring Stop-Start technology have gone on sale along with the introduction of new, ever more efficient engines. In addition new concepts have also been unveiled in the form of the Golf TwinDrive, Passat EcoFuel and Touareg Hybrid.

‘Volkswagen has taken great strides this year in trying to reduce environmental impact, having unveiled the 99 g/km Golf BlueMotion and 87 g/km Polo BlueMotion II Concept,’ said Ian Robertson.
Oh dear.... I go on my hols for a few days and the world goes mad.

Zum.. sorry for not being around to stir the pot.

LCM, thanks for jumping in on this, I salute you sir

But, to Tony's point the clue was in the title and this was the 'what diesel' awards so I guess the outcome was never going to please....Oh, and what's this oily residue over my hands... and oh dear now it's all over the carpet. Yep just filled up again with oil.

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
ANDRES said:

yes your right diesel is the way to go ,, for wagons,trains,buses,boats,tractors,generators,ships,french cars,vans, skoda owners, men with beards, tree huggers and people who are too tight to pay for petrol,

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
sciroccorocket said:
ANDRES said:

yes your right diesel is the way to go ,, for wagons,trains,buses,boats,tractors,generators,ships,french cars,vans, skoda owners, men with beards, tree huggers and people who are too tight to pay for petrol,
v funny (although not agreeing or disagreeing!! :| :| ) appreciating the humour......... :lol: :D

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
imitebeurda said:
sciroccorocket said:
ANDRES said:

v funny (although not agreeing or disagreeing!! :| :| ) appreciating the humour......... :lol: :D
When I was a kid... I wanted to be an astronaut when I grew up not a train driver, now given that trains run on diesel and space rockets run on rocket fuel maybe I am not reaching my full potential by running a car on petrol alone.

It also raises the question as to whether the desire to burn oil in ones motor car is a result of nature or nurture?? I can see a new poll coming on, maybe something along the lines of were your parents or grandparents bus/train drivers or astronauts?? The heading might need a bit of tweaking but I think you get the idea.

·
Registered
78 Posts
No adults on here! :p

I'm only 23 and i'm less childish than most of you :p

ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..... Shame shit different day!

Some of you are still living in the 20th century with your views towards diesels. ;)

21st century diesel!

20th century diesel:

Granted it can't match petrol for raw power. But how many of you with the 2.0tsi engines are going to use 200PS all the time on public roads? Most of the time you'll probably be using half that. Unless your doing trackdays all the time like I used to - the extra power just doesn't get used. It's nice to be able to say my old silvia had 360 horses at the fly for pub talk but little else - It's only useful when passing Carrera 4s' and Aerial Atoms at brands hatch, and occasionally hassling the odd GT3.

I think we should unite against the battery and fusion cell :lol: :mrgreen: Fossil fuel burning days of any kind are numbered!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Le_Savage said:
LOL... I think we should change your tag by 'scirocconet deed poll' to Victor Mature as you are clearly way above our mental age and understanding...

Scratches head and thinks to himself 'is it open season for carp yet'??
:p

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
sciroccorocket on Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:29 pm

Le_Savage wrote:
sciroccorocket wrote:
i wanted to be a train driver but once diesels replaced steam i went off the idea,

so was that a natural chain of events or did an adult help you with the decision??
my decision
So that makes it 2-0 for nature... ;)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts