Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WorldCarFans Report:

We love this time of year when the northern hemisphere thaws and gates at the Nürburgring are wide open, for it is then that cars like this Volkswagen Scirocco R go play in the "green hell." The spied car was caught in ‘Ring traffic as it made its way around. It featured a new front bumper, a different look on the sides and rear. Overall it seemed to be a sportier-looking car than the standard one.

Relaunched in 2008 after 16 years of absence, the Scirocco was brought back for those who enjoy a spirited drive in a two-door sports coupe but whose pockets don't quite go Cayman S deep. Engines supplied include a 1.4TSI with 118kW (160hp) and a 147kW (200hp) 2.0-litre mill. This is the same engine to be used in the Scirocco R where it will make a rumoured 200kW (272hp).

According to spy sources VW is planning to launch the car at the 24h Nürburgring race which begins 21 May and at the same time reveal its cousin the Golf R20 with the same engine.

Full details and more pics http://www.worldcarfans.com/9090414.006 ... nrburgring

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Looks well, the more I see it the more that VW bodykit grows on me. Even though I hate saying it it looks best on a white roc........ :roll:

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
sciroccorocket said:
is that the collectors edition ?
Maybe... but I reckon they will be unable to resist the temptation to revive the 'storm' badge sometime in the near future, maybe that will be a special edition of the R20T, or a luxury spec'd version of the GT.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Le_Savage said:
sciroccorocket said:
Maybe... but I reckon they will be unable to resist the temptation to revive the 'storm' badge sometime in the near future, maybe that will be a special edition of the R20T, or a luxury spec'd version of the GT.
Better cross my fingers for the 6 numbers tonight! :roll: ;)

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
imitebeurda said:
Le_Savage said:
sciroccorocket said:
Better cross my fingers for the 6 numbers tonight! :roll: ;)
you and me both

·
Registered
412 Posts
ryancooke said:
thats just the vw bodykit and wheels, the press are just getting excited
yea i was gonna say that, it's just the scirocco body kit and lugano alloys

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
imitebeurda said:
Like those wheels, anyone got a price for them?
there is a thread on here about those wheels they are ww,s own 19" polished, im sure they are an option in germany and we are supposed to be getting them as an option some time

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
sciroccorocket said:
imitebeurda said:
Like those wheels, anyone got a price for them?
there is a thread on here about those wheels they are ww,s own 19" polished, im sure they are an option in germany and we are supposed to be getting them as an option some time
Well if it is circa £1,600 for the GT 18 inch alloys you can be sure that they will be over £2,000 from VW when they arrive! Will stick with mine, unless...................must go and check tonights lottery!! :lol:

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
ryancooke said:
thats just the vw bodykit and wheels, the press are just getting excited
You are right... but this was exactly what they did on the early special editions, just added some optional extras into the standard package... in fact isn't that what a lot of manufacturers do with their special editions??

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Worldcarfans have another article today which suggests some inside information but then they talk about an r45 golf with 390bhp. Not sure that's believable.

''The corporate-speak word still used today is "synergy". But if VW wants to borrow some technology from Audi, such as lifting its latest 5-cylinder engine out of the TT-RS and placing it in an AWD Golf, then call it what you will.

But before we get to that, first come the Golf and Scirocco R20T models, featuring an engine that will up the power quotient on the Golf to better meet the competition, given that there's a 300 hp Focus RS and a 250 hp Megane Renault Sport prowling the streets already. VW has been testing the Golf and Scirocco R20T models over at the Nurburgring circuit with a 2.0 liter twin-turbocharged powerplant that possibly outputs about 300 horses too, according to AutoMotorSport.se Sweden sources at Wolfsburg.

Details on the turbo-twinning technology are not yet available but it seems VW will push the 2.0 liter power plant it shares with Audi (as seen in the S3 with 265 hp) to even higher levels than the current, rather tame, 211 hp rating in the Golf GTI and those 265 horses in the S3.

Also under testing in both those models in all-wheel-drive form by VW is Audi's new 2.5 liter, turbocharged 5-cylinder engine with 340 hp and 450 Nm of torque recently introduced in the new TT-RS. The models are designated by the attached R45 moniker and AutoMotorSport.se is reporting that even that powerplant may be getting a boost to 390 hp.

Now, that is engineering at work, no matter what you call it.''

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
imitebeurda said:
:shock: :? 390hp..........M3 killer ;) , now an R45 roc, 390hp and 4WD.......that would be something!!
I would happily wait for the pleasure, but not too long! If they don't do it I know someone who would slot a similar power plant and drive train into a roc for me... but it would cost a whole lot more than a production version so I got my patience is a virtue T-Shirt on for now!! :roll:

·
Registered
12 Posts
They are to big to work with ACC apparently. VW does not offer combination of those two.
If you want 19'' Luganos ACC goes out and because ACC is a standard in UK, that's why you don't have these wheels available.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts