Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner

Warranty issues - unimpressed

3K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Anonymous 
#1 ·
Apologies for ranting, but i'm getting quite pissed off now.

My TDI went into my local branch last week for Warranty problems, these being:-

Misting in the lights - when checked they could find no fault
Problems with the Light switch - when set to off position, lights on outside, but dash unlit - when checked, could not find fault.
Poor Head unit sound quality when using ipod - on backorder for 10days??? what happened to next day delivery???
Annoying rattle coming from passenger door.
unable to turn off traction control - the light flashes rather than staying lit - as the book says.

Has anybody else had similar problems?

:(

Al

#2 ·
Misting in lights - prob needs a new light under warranty, does it happen in all of them or just 1?
Light switch problem - is this when the car is running or not running?
Head unit replacement is not a priority item because the car can still be driven so other peoples engines, gearboxes etc will get put ahead of it on the train
Annoying rattle needs sorting by retailer
The traction control does flash if the traction control is operating, is this occaisional or when driving hard?

The battery may have low charge as some of these problems can happen in that instance.

#3 ·
wheely

the headlights are not sealed units so do mist up overnight, not an issue
the light issue is to do with the DRLs, ie even if you turn the lights off they remain on, my DRLs are turned off now so lights work
i think you have to hold the button down a bit longer regarding traction control

#4 ·
Maybe I can help you out, answers in red....

Wheelyking said:
Apologies for ranting, but i'm getting quite pissed off now.

Misting in the lights - when checked they could find no fault They should look for any gaps in the seal
Problems with the Light switch - when set to off position, lights on outside, but dash unlit - when checked, could not find fault. This is how it works my friend, this is due the the DRL, the dash only lights up on the auto position during the day if the light isn't great i.e. going through a tunnel, however having it at 0 will keep the outside lights on and dash off anytime of the day regardless of light intensity outside
Poor Head unit sound quality when using ipod - on backorder for 10days??? what happened to next day delivery??? Go to system settings and change the AUX input level to low or high, I don't know what your is set to, but try the opposite end of the scale.
Annoying rattle coming from passenger door. Try pushing hard against the finish and see if it disappears otherwise they need to take it apart and put it together again properly.
unable to turn off traction control - the light flashes rather than staying lit - as the book says. This is how it should be, the book is full of inconsistencies throughout - I don't trust it at all, I've found statements about the SDHC card then on the very next line it contradicts what it said before.

Al
I should add regarding the seal etc I've had my car for 5 months, done 5k miles, the only time the headlights steam is when I put it through a hot wash on a cold day - normal day to day running it has never once steamed up on its own accord.

To aid you further with the iPod sound quality, here's someone I helped earlier...
http://www.scirocconet.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=288&p=1749

PS you have every right to rant about issues on a new car, but sometimes dealers shouldn't be blamed for things they don't know about, they should however be blamed for not knowing the things they should have known about lol

#5 ·
WheelyKing, did you try the AUX input level for the iPod?

#7 ·
hi there, iam a volkswagen master technician, and will try to shed some light on the lights steaming up. because of the new laws which are due to be set with regarding headlamps they have to be made of a plastic type material this is for pedestrian safety, on old type headlamps the beam pattern was on the les itself, not the case with the scirocco, the beam pattern is set by the reflectors in the headlight, this is 1) more asthetically pleasing to the eye and 2) better light vision when headlamps get dirty. because of the heat generated by the bulbs and from the engine compartment in general the inside of the lamp gets warm, this warm air will escape through vents which are built into the lamp unit, as cold air or indeed rain/water etc hits the lamp lens this creates condensation which you are complaining about, my scirocco does the same but this does not effect the beam pattern and therefore will not effect the opertion of the lamp, if you leave the lights on for approx 5 mins the condesation will dissapear. unfortunately new legislations have probably brought this fault, but also running costs i.e. cost of a new lamp unit and vehicle weight being reduced. there is no fix for this problem, i have had several customers complain and by showing them my scirocco they go away quite happy.

#9 ·
Hi i am having ipod sound problems too but it is intermittent. My scirocco had the 6cd changer in it and they changed it for the media connection in the armrest. Sometimes it sounds like the speakers are burst, it is so bad i have to switch it off. It doesnt do it all the time so i thought it was a dodgy cable. Booked it in and they replaced the cable and it was fine the first couple of times i was out then it went back to the crackling. Dont know if its the unit they fitted. Its a new ipod and had no probs with it in my old car. Its going back to dealer on monday

#11 ·
Wheelyking said:
Apologies for ranting, but i'm getting quite p*** off now.

Misting in the lights - when checked they could find no fault
Problems with the Light switch - when set to off position, lights on outside, but dash unlit - when checked, could not find fault.
Poor Head unit sound quality when using ipod - on backorder for 10days??? what happened to next day delivery???
Annoying rattle coming from passenger door.
unable to turn off traction control - the light flashes rather than staying lit - as the book says.

Al
Just having found this thread it's actually quite funny when you think about the fact that 3 of the above faults aren't faults at all but no one was able to confirm that!

#13 ·
doozer said:
evil
Are you an auto engineer/vw tech?
No but I have lot's of common sense. :wtf:

For the light reflectors to corrode to the extent that it actually significantly diminishes the amount of light reflected out of the head lamp unit would require a sustained exposure to a significant amount of water over a very, very, very long time. A wee bit of mist on the inside isn't enough to cause corrosion. The amount of water required would short out your headlight bulb before any corrosion occurred. Also given the fact that a) the headlight casings are designed to let in/out air or water and b) that every time you switch your lights on it would very quickly cause any mist to evaporate due to the heat, misting is never going to cause the sort of effects that your auto engineer describes.

Also, there are plenty of "auto engineers" out there that may be quite competent in aspects of their trade and downright clueless in others. Just because the guy has a boiler suit on or a VW badge on his overalls doesn't mean he is an expert in physics or metallurgy.

On top of all this I'm pretty sure that the reflectors have a coating on them to prevent any corrosion anyway.

#15 ·
doozer said:
Funny enough I've already replaced blown bulbs that I suspected were caused by this very problem!
As for common sense, something that we all have I might add, in varying degrees, won't stand up with dealers now days when trying to argue your case.
You're exactly right. If your headlight bulbs have blown due to moisture ingress then I'd suggest that you have faulty headlight units that aren't sealed properly.

G
#16 ·
When I buy a car, I carefully select my dealer, as the car service quality is more important to me than having to drive a bit to get there. I've heard lots of storied about warranty issues being solved in wildly different manners. And this is not good, as it weakens the brand image. My VW dealer has so far bent over backwards to ensure everything is in order. In my opinion they've done a much better job than my local Mercedes dealer.

In the end, I think the biggest problem is that people don't have that great negotiation skills. Dealers are struggling in this financial climate and having some customer jump up and down is not going to make for a friendly discussion. I'm not saying you let your dealer walk all over you, but don't step on his toes either. Generally, asking questions is very effective in getting things done your way. You just need to know what to ask.

Regarding the light switch. When in off position and engine on, the headlamps will be lit and then dash unlit. At least the way the light switch is wired for Scandinavia. Turning the light switch into the second position (parking lights) or third (DRL) will turn on the dash as well.

A rattle from the passenger side turned out to be a poorly fitted plastic trim part in my Scirocco. Have it checked.

Turning the ESP off, in my opinion is a bit silly in the first place. Do you also turn off your ABS brakes, to get fatter brake marks? I can understand turning ESP off in winter when you sometimes really do need it turned off... unless of course you must drive around like you're hair is on fire.

Go have a friendly chat with your dealer, I'm sure he'll sort you out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.