Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I know that polish has a mild cut in it so that it effectively cuts into the surface of the paint to make it shiny again and wax is then to protect the paint from the elements but whats the difference between Wax, Glaze and Sealant and would you ever use all three?

·
Registered
261 Posts
I was wondering that.
An article in Roccopedia states that waxes shouldn't be applied over an Autoglym sealant http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/roccop ... Protection
But then I saw that super dooper Autoglym High Definition Wax as posted by IMB viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1435
and wondered if as it's an Autoglym wax it could be used over their sealant.
As I understand it though the best thing to use on an Autoglym sealed car is Autoglym Super Resin Polish every wash or every couple of washes and then top up with their Extra Gloss Protection no more that four or five times a year.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Chalkie said:
Just be careful what wax you use, too many layers of a carnauba wax can cause a yellowing effect
So how often would you apply a wax? I bought (and used) the Autoglym HD wax on monday. I also use the Autoglym super resin polish weekly or maybe fortnightly, and if Im going to a show I would apply a layer of autoglym gloss protection as well, which could be every other week over the summer.

·
Registered
64 Posts
imitebeurda said:
Chalkie said:
Just be careful what wax you use, too many layers of a carnauba wax can cause a yellowing effect
So how often would you apply a wax? I bought (and used) the Autoglym HD wax on monday. I also use the Autoglym super resin polish weekly or maybe fortnightly, and if Im going to a show I would apply a layer of autoglym gloss protection as well, which could be every other week over the summer.
I am no expert in this field but not all waxes use carnauba so it may not be an issue. Waxes are not as durable as sealants and require topping up. I would wax roughly every 4 - 6 weeks but in between I would sometimes use the Mequiars Quick Detailer especially if the car is just dusty.

·
Registered
64 Posts
imitebeurda said:
The Autoglym HD wax does have carnauba in it. ;)
Carnauba is a very hard wax and is mixed with other ingredients such as beeswax and oils to soften it and make it easier to apply. The percentage content varies from product to product. Like all waxes washing your car will reduce the protection and the beading properties. Most pros will recommend that you detail your car every 6 months i.e. decontaminate (claying) sealing and rewaxing. Again I have to say I am no expert and I rely on advice from guys like Ryan Phillips from DetailNI.

·
Registered
181 Posts
ALWAYS start with a good wash pressure wash with lance at an angle and not too close. 2 bucket method every time lambswool mitt X2 Dont scrub the paint

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Carnauba wax is a natural ingredient. Where as stuff like Meguiars NXT Wax is a synthetic product. Apparently Canuaba gives you a richer warmer finish where as synthetic waxs give a more clinical, sharp finish.

But my question is, what is the difference between Wax, sealant and glaze. Can anyone come up with an answer?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Evil Derboy said:
Carnauba wax is a natural ingredient. Where as stuff like Meguiars NXT Wax is a synthetic product. Apparently Canuaba gives you a richer warmer finish where as synthetic waxs give a more clinical, sharp finish.

But my question is, what is the difference between Wax, sealant and glaze. Can anyone come up with an answer?
Quote from the Dodo Juice web site "Sealant is the name given to a synthetic acrylic, or polymer, wax-type product. These are man made, like nylon (compared to something natural, like cotton). Carnauba and beeswax are great natural products, but human beings love to fiddle and these synthetic waxes have a more regimented molecular structure giving them the potential to be stronger and more durable. The irony is that a decent carnauba wax can often outlast a poor sealant, and some people think their shine is a little cold or clinical compared to the warmth of a carnauba wax. But the technology is interesting and they are good products. Like waxes, there are good ones and bad ones. Some take longer to cure and are a bit fussy in terms of prep, expecially compared to more natural waxes. And remember, there is really no point in having a product that lasts over 6 months, because cars generally benefit from a good claying and decontamination every quarter (if used every day and left outside in a built-up area). Washing can only keep a coating somewhat clean. It's the equivalent of changing your underpants once a week instead of once a day. "

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
Chalkie said:
Evil Derboy said:

Quote from the Dodo Juice web site "Sealant is the name given to a synthetic acrylic, or polymer, wax-type product. These are man made, like nylon (compared to something natural, like cotton). Carnauba and beeswax are great natural products, but human beings love to fiddle and these synthetic waxes have a more regimented molecular structure giving them the potential to be stronger and more durable. The irony is that a decent carnauba wax can often outlast a poor sealant, and some people think their shine is a little cold or clinical compared to the warmth of a carnauba wax. But the technology is interesting and they are good products. Like waxes, there are good ones and bad ones. Some take longer to cure and are a bit fussy in terms of prep, expecially compared to more natural waxes. And remember, there is really no point in having a product that lasts over 6 months, because cars generally benefit from a good claying and decontamination every quarter (if used every day and left outside in a built-up area). Washing can only keep a coating somewhat clean. It's the equivalent of changing your underpants once a week instead of once a day. "
Nice one Chalkie :thumbup:

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had my car professionally prepared from new i.e. paintwork decontaminated (clayed), sealant applied and waxed.
Normal maintenance involves:
Wash using the two bucket method with Autoglym Shampoo Conditioner and a micro fibre wash mitt. Hand dry using a synthetic chamois and micro fibre cloth. For fingerprints and dust I use Mequiars Speed Detailer. Top up wax using Ioncoat Naviwax approx every 4 to 6 weeks.
After approx 6 months I intend to repeat the process and have the car re detailed.

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
Le_Savage said:
Evil Derboy said:
sciroccorocket said:
can someone start from scratch and tell me whats the best method, so far ive used autoglym super resin polish and then the sealer, then a few weeks later i used diamond brite,, any tips would be welcome
Hey! Start your own thread instead of hijacking mine! :shock:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Hmmmmm

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.