Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had mine for a couple of months now and while the question is not aimed at what you may have experienced with technical things going awry - **it happens to us all - I was sitting here on a wet and thundry Bank Holiday afternoon wondering what VW could do to improve the Roc owners experience!

Two hours later I managed to come up with only 3 things, they are, in no particular order:

1) Rear view is mega poor, without spoiling the aerodynamics and the all important Roc look I think this is a difficult one but perhaps a rear pointing camera linked to the radio/sat nav/dvd display unit. Not sure about the legal implications of this but hey if the boys in blue can use it why not us, the Roc is just as fast as theirs....only they don't accumulate points!
2) Why o' why does VW not deploy industry standard multi media technology for things like Bluetooth (rSAP what rSAP?) and media file compatibility, hard drive upload capacity etc e.g. I have the 6 CD exchanger (not by choice) in mine but when in use the system is unable to display the artists name and track title on any CD......what is that all about?
3) Something really have to be done about the internal handle on the boot, the wife has broken her nails twice now attempting to close it (still it's better than scratching the paint work I guess)

So, as you can deduce, all in all a pretty horrendous experience so far :lol: or with apologies to Ronald McD 'Im (bloody) loving it'..... :D :D :D :D :D :D

Any other views - rear if possible - or otherwise :?:

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
The only thing that annoys me is the quality of the paintwork. I know there have been other posts about this but I am never done touching in stonechips. 11 at the weekend and 9 the previous week. Looks like my car has been machine-gunned by Rambo........... :(

·
Registered
508 Posts
olek said:
1) Rear view is mega poor, without spoiling the aerodynamics and the all important Roc look I think this is a difficult one but perhaps a rear pointing camera linked to the radio/sat nav/dvd display unit.
i don't know why vw couldn't have made this an option like they have done on the mk6 golf. while they were at it, they could have added optional auto park...
the technology is there, just let me have it!

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
1) Gaps between the wheels and arches are far too big for a car of this type.

2) The whole dash and centre console area should have been unique to the car not pulled from the VW parts bin. I love an interior where the driver is separated from the passenger by a nice high centre console and would have liked to have seen something like that in the Roc.

3) Too much black plastic. This seems to be a bit of a VW trait. Maybe it's coming back round again but I was never into black plastic trim on cars and just don't understand what the need for the plastic strips at the bottom of the doors. I'm not a fan of the the unpainted plastic at front of the car either and feel this should have been matched to the gloss black gril between the headlights.

4) Orange indicator reflectors at the front - Me no likey.

5) Std speakers (can't speak for the Dynaudio upgrade) are crap (sorry if that offends anyone but I really think their rubbish).

6) Exposed storage pocket and cup holders.

7) Sunglasses holder isn't big enough

8) DRLs should be the wee lights in the indicator lenses instead of the the dipped beams.

9) Mine doesn't actually start!

Sounds like I hate the car but I don't. I'm sure everyone can pick things that they would like to change on any car.

·
Registered
150 Posts
olek said:
2) Why o' why does VW not deploy industry standard multi media technology for things like Bluetooth (rSAP what rSAP?) and media file compatibility, hard drive upload capacity etc e.g. I have the 6 CD exchanger (not by choice) in mine but when in use the system is unable to display the artists name and track title on any CD......what is that all about?
:?:
Olek...just a quick one on yr item 2.....this really bugged me...cos all music files via the other input routes do show full track/artist info...BUT having perhaps had around 10 CD's in the car, one now does show full track info?!?! Wonder if anyone has cracked this, I can't find anything in the manual...

On your general question the only gripe I have that's worth mentioning is the poor wash /wipe on the front. The wipers are okay in heavy rain but poor otherwise. So 99 out 100 from me :D

·
Registered
88 Posts
zum wohl said:
olek said:
:?:
Olek...just a quick one on yr item 2.....this really bugged me...cos all music files via the other input routes do show full track/artist info...BUT having perhaps had around 10 CD's in the car, one now does show full track info?!?! Wonder if anyone has cracked this, I can't find anything in the manual...

On your general question the only gripe I have that's worth mentioning is the poor wash /wipe on the front. The wipers are okay in heavy rain but poor otherwise. So 99 out 100 from me :D
For normal CD's i.e. not mp3/wma cd's done on the computer some of them do have the artist and track info. coded on the cd, but most don't. I used to buy loads of CD's and probably have about 1k, so far I've found 2 that show the info. (for info. - the original Blade soundtrack album and the new Prodigy album).

Deacon

·
Registered
258 Posts
Daaaaaaaaammmmmmmmm I wish we dod not start this one. I have found more things I hate about the car after reading this one. Now i am focussed on it! Ignorance was bliss on this one.

Only one main gripe I share with you guys is poor quality interior. Does not match the style of the car outside and is a big anti climax from when you are outside the car to inside the car. Don't know if the changes (2010) made to the inside of the car go far enough to rectify this

·
Registered
315 Posts
The Scirocco was launched at a very attractive price and I believe one result is the ok rather than special interior. Move up to, say, an Audi TT and you will get a much better interior but at significantly higher cost.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
tallguy said:
The Scirocco was launched at a very attractive price and I believe one result is the ok rather than special interior. Move up to, say, an Audi TT and you will get a much better interior but at significantly higher cost.
Agreed but couldn't we have had one with the same quality of materials but with a slightly more imaginitive design?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Maybe.
Much as I like VWs I would have to describe their interiors over the years as decent quality but a bit dull. I have had a number of Audis and the interiors have always been better both in terms of design and quality (but at a healthy price premium).

G

·
I had a 51 plate MkIV golf a fews years ago and compaired to that the quiality hasnt moved on one bit. If anything it's gone backwards.

At least the wipers worked on that and you could even switch the radio off!! I miss those luxuries so much.....

·
Registered
412 Posts
for some reason when i go form reverse into first, if i don't put enough gas down and lift the clutch the gearstick jolts, anyone had this?

·
Registered
23 Posts
They may not be as a perfect finish as the audi, But I had a choice of owning a Roc or a New TT, I remember when I had my Mk1 and the stick I got from the lads saying its a Hairdresser Car. When I sat in the New TT in the showroom I just had visions of the same comments and thought VW Scirocco. TT lost its Cool with the Mk2 the Roc is like the TT the first time round proper head turner.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
ManxKarl said:
They may not be as a perfect finish as the audi, But I had a choice of owning a Roc or a New TT, I remember when I had my Mk1 and the stick I got from the lads saying its a Hairdresser Car. When I sat in the New TT in the showroom I just had visions of the same comments and thought VW Scirocco. TT lost its Cool with the Mk2 the Roc is like the TT the first time round proper head turner.
I know what you mean, I traded a Z4 roadster in for the roc, was sick of being asked "for a quick trim" :lol:

·
Registered
2 Posts
No sunglasses compartment in centre ceiling console.

Is it me or are others also missing the sunglasses storage compartment next to where the interior lights and sunroof buttons reside?

According to the manual, there should be a compartment but all I have is a clip-on plastic grill. I'm thinking that maybe the sunglasses holder is only available for cars without a sunroof as the sunroof the buttons and wiring take up some. Nevertheless, it's a bit weenie to have such weak design skills as to not be able to accomodate 1 button and an small compartment.

Secondly - anyone able to use a connected iPod effectively? The User Interface on the radio SUCKS. If you have a lot of music on your iPod, it takes forever to scroll through the lists, often crashes, and with the touch screen, if you're moving (which I imagine is 99.9% of the time) you end up touching the wrong thing. Why can't the radio have a alphanumeric option that allows you to spell the letter you want?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.