Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do these things do? (the black plastic things sticking out from the rear arches)

I would hazard a guess that its to reduce air turbulence coming from the rear wheels. Or is it to prevent stones flying upwards andn hitting the windscreen of the car behind? They dont stick out far but think they make the arches look massive from certain angles!

I'm either going to remove them or paint them but wanted to know of their functionality first.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,707 Posts
At a guess I would reckon they are to prevent stone chips on the body work. They stick out just far enough to stop the little stones the tyres throw up (given the shape of the bodywork) but Im probably wrong!! :roll: :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i still think its the turbulence thing. On the first shape bmw mini they had these but didn't when it was facelifted. The only difference was the bumpers but no drastic changes in their shape! I've also seen these on a merc slk.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
I don't know what they are either - but there are four (one on each wheel arch) on the Passatt as well. The rears are in a similar position to the Roc but on the front they are at 12 - 1 o'clock so I don't think is for stones
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
IIRC, they are there for legal reasons. I remember reading somewhere that the wheel has to sit a certain distance within the wheel arch to be legal. The little plastic bits give the extra few mm required for them to be legal............
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
I remember the Eos with 18" alloys having these little plastic flaps, and that was the reason I was given, the models with 17" alloys didnt have plastic arch extensions..............
..........perhaps it is regulation for another country, but they are still put on UK cars?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
bungle said:
I remember the Eos with 18" alloys having these little plastic flaps, and that was the reason I was given, the models with 17" alloys didnt have plastic arch extensions..............
..........perhaps it is regulation for another country, but they are still put on UK cars?
actually, you remind me - the 55 had 17" and the 58 has 18" so apologies for that. So does anyone have the Roc with 17" Donningtons?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,088 Posts
jblink said:
okay thanks

So it is not a simple 17" vs 18" thing :?
I might be wrong but were the 17's not put on by error... or at least that was the story I heard, so the car will/should have the same bits.

For what it's worth i'm with Bungle on this and they are to do with the wheel not being allowed to protrude beyond the arch. My wifes Touran also has them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,216 Posts
Le_Savage said:
jblink said:
okay thanks

So it is not a simple 17" vs 18" thing :?
I might be wrong but were the 17's not put on by error... or at least that was the story I heard, so the car will/should have the same bits.

For what it's worth i'm with Bungle on this and they are to do with the wheel not being allowed to protrude beyond the arch. My wifes Touran also has them.
the cars with 17,s are miss builds and offered to fleet at a discounted price
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,216 Posts
imitebeurda said:
sciroccorocket said:
imitebeurda said:
At a guess I would reckon they are to prevent stone chips on the body work. They stick out just far enough to stop the little stones the tyres throw up (given the shape of the bodywork) but Im probably wrong!! :roll: :roll:
you wrong imb nooooo
what is it then? would like to know now......... ;)
PASS
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Le_Savage said:
jblink said:
okay thanks

So it is not a simple 17" vs 18" thing :?
I might be wrong but were the 17's not put on by error... or at least that was the story I heard, so the car will/should have the same bits.

For what it's worth i'm with Bungle on this and they are to do with the wheel not being allowed to protrude beyond the arch. My wifes Touran also has them.
Ahh yes, there was a run of GT's which they put 17"s on because of a supply issu with the 18"s........

If me and le savage are right, do we get a prize?.... :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Hi
Yes this car is leased and at a knock down rental £65 per month off current charges
Have been told by vw sales that this car was built 02/10/2008, so this car has sat in a field for five months this would account for the many visits to vw for repair.
Yes 17s do look a bit small but they will be staying as the car belongs lombard not me :mrgreen: :oops:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
most cars i have seen them on have been on the rear wheels. Not sure we are getting any closer :?
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top