Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all...
trundling home late last night from Armagh, met oncoming car on country road, pulled in towards verge, BANG. Initially I thought all was fine (potholes everywhere these days) but 150 yards from home, the tyre suddenly deflated. Crawled up drive, inspected car this morning- large dent on inside of rim. At this stage, it looks like a write off.
Anyone know offhand how much VW look for a new one? (2.0GT TSi 18 inch rim)

Unfortunately it will be tomorrow before I find out if the wheel is repairable and whether the Pirelli Zero is a goner as well...

Break it to me gently.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A friend has suggested Lester Engineering in Lisburn.. though they will have to inspect the wheel first.
The brother in law thinks the tyre might be salvageable- a trip to Tyre Safety Centre tomorrow morning should sort that out.
By the way, a Scirocco with a spacesaver looks terrible.....

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Lester engineering is very good, thats where my brother got his BBS re-coated. Also there is the Alloy Wheel Repair centre in culcavy and a lot of boys would use Nu-Luk in carrick although from what I hear they can be quite expensive. IMHO if anyone can do it Lester engineering can. I wouldnt mess about with the tyre though. If you hit it hard enough to damage the rim I would suggest any tyre-dealer worth his salt will not recommend using the tyre again. The wires inside the tyre could be broken and you wouldnt know until you had a blow out. :(

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
imitebeurda said:
Lester engineering is very good, thats where my brother got his BBS re-coated. Also there is the Alloy Wheel Repair centre in culcavy and a lot of boys would use Nu-Luk in carrick although from what I hear they can be quite expensive. IMHO if anyone can do it Lester engineering can. I wouldnt mess about with the tyre though. If you hit it hard enough to damage the rim I would suggest any tyre-dealer worth his salt will not recommend using the tyre again. The wires inside the tyre could be broken and you wouldnt know until you had a blow out. :(
i agree the tyre wants scrapped

·
Registered
64 Posts
I can highly recommend Nu-Luk in Carrick, they have done a few repairs for my mates rally car. As far as the tyre is concerned I tend to agree with the other comments but get it checked out anyway nothing ventured nothing gained. I had a similar problem a few years back and I was fortunate that although the rim was scrapped I got the tyre inspected and was able to get another 12k miles out of it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Morning all... as suspected, the Pirelli is scrap- new one on order.
The dent in the rim is repairable, and the rim was on it's way to the oven at TSC in Cookstown when I left an hour ago. Depending on how things go, I may swop the front and rear rims as a precaution if the repair is successful. Will keep you all posted.
Ciaran

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi all..
Roc back to normal today..New Pirelli Zero Rosso £150 plus vat, £ 30 odd plus vat for wheel repair, etc.
Everything seems fine- the wheel balanced ok first time... but swopped fronts and rears to be on the safe side as I have now crossed the 10,000 mile mark.
The Scirocco was surrounded by the guys in the Tyre Centre today..all gave it a big thumbs up.
Happy Days!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A Definite yes to that.. I hope not to get any nasty surprises in months to come!
However, I can only recommend TSC for their service and efficiency... Mark, Noel, Kirsty and all are very good to deal with.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.