Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
driving home - stone hit windcreen and I have a chip - see pic. i guess its the size of a 5p.

Autoglass 9have ofered to repai or rplace - they don't seem to mind. replacemtn willset me back £75 9insurance excess) - Any views?

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imitebeurda said:
Have autoglass been out to see it? My understanding is that when they look at it they can tell you if it can be repaired or if it needs replaced. I would go with their advice, wouldnt take any chances. ;)
No they haven't seen it but have ordered in a windscreen on the strength of my 'phone call- due to arrive Wednesday. Question for me is will a repair be noticable, irrespective of the safty issue? I want my Roc to continue looking good. Appraently they can drill and fill - sounds like you could be left with a nasty "scar"!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Bitofatit, I had mine go like this after 4 weeks of owning my car back in January, it cracked straight away (mostly due to the arctic conditions!) Autoglass had to get a windscreen directly from VW (Apparently I was the first one to need one in the country, not a first I wanted! :cry: ) and it took another 3 before it was here. The guy who fitted it loved my car - but said it was a b****** to fit lol! Originally they were going to try a Mk5 Golf windscreen to see if it would fit! :roll:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Just a word of warning before you go near *********. I had my windscreen chipped on Good Griday MK5GTI, the chip turned into a large crack. Rang my insurance company and they said I could go to ********* and be charged £50, or an approved VW dealer for £80. Went with *********, they had the screen ok, but driving home the auto headlights came on and wouldn't go off. This also happened the next day, took it to VW dealer and they confirmed that the sensor was possibly damaged when the old screen was removed. ********* replaced the sensor ok, I have also noticed that the damper on the bonnet doesn't extend fully, the washer jets aren't going onto the screen, and the wipers are hitting off the side of the A pillar. I haven't gone back to ********* as I'm waiting delivery of my new Scirocco. So just a word of warning, by saving £30 the job wasn't done properly. Check with your insurance company if you have a choice in taking it to a dealer.

PS Although ********* state they use genuine parts, my window doesn't have the VW logo etched on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so therefore it isn't genuine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.